Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical drawing

Options
  • 19-06-2007 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

What is exactly involved in it for the leaving cert?
    I have done art higher level for my JC and got an A.
    Ive just finished TY and im picking my subjects for the leaving cert, so help would be great thanks:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Technical Drawing has been completely revamped. It will now be called 'Design and Communication Graphics' from Sep 2007. It will have a 40% project, and only 1 terminal exam and there will be a fair amount of computers involved.

You will obviously be at a major disadvantage not having tg to jc level, but if you work hard at it for the 2 years, especially in the first few months of 5th year to try and get the basics, you probably would be alright- that is if you have an apptitude for it.

www.t4.ie has more info on syllabus content.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Buttons_sb

Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I can't speak about the new course, but if its anything like the last, then I would recommend for anyone to do it. TD was without a doubt the most interesting, fulfilling and tbh cool subject I did for my Leaving, and I loved every minute of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I'd agree, most students doing the subject enjoy it. It's rewarding and interesting... again if you have an apptitude for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Buttons_sb

Hmm positive feedback, good sign :D
    Thanks a mill!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I did it last year, LC 06, and actually missed it when I was in college. So yeah, Great subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

the new course will have a project worth 40% that it done on a computer(laptop in my school) it is using solidworks CAD and you submit a project then of no more than 15 pages.......

my teacher told us about the exam but i dont remember what he said...

if you havent done tg, i suggest you take it for a while in september and see if you are understanding it after about 3 weeks and then change while you still can

forgot to put in, the schools have got massive funding for this course, my school has got over 40 brand new top of the range laptops, the school is wi-fi enabled and a load of other things, there will be a laptop for every 2 students i think and we all get a student copy of the software for at home...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Feddd

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    I can't speak about the new course, but if its anything like the last, then I would recommend for anyone to do it. TD was without a doubt the most interesting, fulfilling and tbh cool subject I did for my Leaving, and I loved every minute of it.

QFT

Did it last year and got an A1 in it and did it again and enjoyed it even more. Usually people get sick of doing subjects again after getting an a1 but in Tech each aspect of each topic had alternate ways of doing them and had a great time figureing out different/easier ways of doing questions and looking further into each question's underlieing theory(Especcially conics, very interesting). Even thought myself how to do the oblique planes question(Although its just a mix of interpenetration, Q1 and solids in contact).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Great subject, I'd highly recommend it.. I've only done it at JC level though, I'll be starting the new syllabus in September too. It's a nice subject to study - instead of reading, making notes, learning stuff off, etc it's great to just take out a sheet of paper and draw. :) Though saying that there wasn't much study involved for the JC.

Advertisement