Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

7 day car insurance?

Options
  • 19-06-2007 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

My brother is coming over in a few weeks and I want to get him insured so that he can drive my car. He doesn't currently have any motor insurance in his own name. Anyway, I called my insurers (Eaglestar) and they can only offer to add him for the remainder of the policy - this expires in 7 months and so would be too expensive!

Does anyone know of any insurance companies that offer policies that will cover him for the week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

Pratically every Insurance company will be able to put him on the policy, called a Tempory Additional driver, it's standard practice and I have yet to hear of any company that does not offer a Tempory Additional Driver. That's how the majority of people do the Driving Test, they just add themselves to the policy for the day.

You can always add Open Driving to your policy, it will cost around 10% of your premium and your brother will be covered if he is between the age 25-70 Full Licence and 3 year Claim free. Simply remove Open Driving and get your money back when he goes home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭kilasser

I live in England and go home (mayo) for hols a few times a year. My dad Puts me on his Hibernian insurance for a week at a time only costs E20 for the week. I’ve got a UK licence weather that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

muffinhead wrote:
    My brother is coming over in a few weeks and I want to get him insured so that he can drive my car. He doesn't currently have any motor insurance in his own name. Anyway, I called my insurers (Eaglestar) and they can only offer to add him for the remainder of the policy - this expires in 7 months and so would be too expensive!

Does anyone know of any insurance companies that offer policies that will cover him for the week?

Could try ringing them again, the person who took your call could be wrong. There's always the option of putting him on and paying the cost of the 7 months upfront, then taking him off again and asking for a refund. All insurers will do that, although it's more hassle for both you and them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Yeah, you can get added temporarily.

I drove a guys bike down from Naas to cork, he couldn't drive a bike :) Cost 20 pounds for 3 days.

Advertisement