Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 weeks

Options
  • 19-06-2007 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I've just been for a check up at the docors and she tried to hear the heart beat but couldn't hear anything and i'm starting to worry as i've been reading that it can be heard from 9 weeks.should i be worrying or is this just normal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Aoife - I'm surprised she tried so early. My GP didn't try to hear the heartbeat until after the 1st scan at around 13 weeks.
    Even later on it can be hard to hear the heartbeat if the baby is turned the wrong way but at 10 weeks the baby is still low down in the pelvis. If you're worried then ask to be sent into the hospital for a scan.
    I hope everything is OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

If your worried go to the hospital in the morning,
    you can lie and say you tripped/fell/got ran into in your car,and you want to make sure everything is fine.
    I did this on my last because I was worried for the same reason.
    They were lovely and I was scanned within an hour(he is now 5)

Let me know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't ever remembering any test to hear the heart beat that early. That's a few weeks away yet, afaik. Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OP - Firstly, congratulations on your pregnancy.

Regarding the heartbeat - did you not discuss this with your doctor at the time? I'm sure that they would have told you that it was nothing to be worried about as it is still so early in your pregnancy.

The dates, timelines that you see in books are guidelines & are not hard & fast facts. It was 14 weeks before my youngest boy's heartbeat could be heard. Mrs Billy went through the same anguish as you because she heard my older boy's heartbeat at 11 weeks. Every pregnancy is different.

Try to relax & not worry too much. Make the most of this time that you have now & enjoy yourself. Think happy thoughts for you & your baby. Best of luck between now & next February.

Give your doc a call if you are really worried though.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!

As already posted it's still very early days - I was well into week 14 by the time we could hear anything. If you are worried about it do call your doctor though - the stress isn't good for you or babs.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hi Aoife, Don't be worrying, it would be really unusual to hear the heartbeat at that stage. The same thing happened to me but whn my GP couldn't hear it he sent me over to the hospital for scan but only because it was just a few days before Christmas and he didn't want me to spend Christmas worrying about it. Everything was fine of course and babs was just still very low down . If the few weeks wait is going to be tortuous for you take G & T's advice above.

Congrats BTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Gerilee

Hi Aoife,

Good suggestion to go to hospital and get it double-checked just to put your mind at rest, you can check yourself in through casualty, or else just ring the department ahead (I think it's the early pregnancy unit you ask for) and ask if you can have an early scan because you're worried - they will do an ultrasound, and the heartbeat should be heard/seen much clearer on that scan, even at this early stage - if it still isn't clear then they will monitor you closely, and call you back in a week or so when the baby foetus is a little bigger.

I know how nerve-wracking it can be at this stage, I remember surfing the net endlessly looking for reassurances, and it's hard to get one clear answer.

Let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 aoife13/01/2008

hi all

Thanks for all the suggestions got a letter off doc and went over to hospital for early pregnancy scan,it felt like i wasn't wanted there but they were very busy but the good news is everything is ok and the baby gave a little jump.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Glad all is well with babs Aoife - I always felt on my 3 pregnancies that up until 20 weeks was the most difficult in many ways - the tiredness, the puking, not quite big enough to go into maternity clothes (although by number 3 I was ready for maternity clothes almost at conception ;) ) and the fact that no one knows yet. I can remember on DS2 I didn't have a scan or anything until 16 weeks and nearly had myself convinced that i wasn't pregnant! When you start to feel the kicks its a lot more reassuring - best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

Delighted,

Now relax and enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Congrats Aoife,

It's lovely to see that first scan isn't it? It's a real little person in there!

Littlebug

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Aoife - Am so thrilled.
    Now relax and enjoy the pregnancy.
    Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Great news Aoife!
    Take care

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Big sigh......

Thats wonderful. I wish you an easy pregnacy from here on in. :)

Advertisement