Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Hobby

Options
  • 19-06-2007 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Right ill go from the start, i went to the shop about a year and a half ago. I wanted a CZ452 in .17hmr, he said he would order it. After weeks of hassle i chose a different rifle that he had in the shop a Zastava .22wmr. All good licence came through picked up rifle.

Went out to zero it in, then the problems start, the magazine wasnt feeding properly, it was toohigh and there were other problems with it, and and it was shaving the head off the top of the rounds. After freaking at home and my family calming me down i went back to the shop explained i wanted a replacement nothing less i got what i wanted he offered me a Marlin 917 in .17hmr.

Excellent licence changed went out to zero happy as a pig in ****e. I went to zero it and ended up havind to feed one round in at a time manually as the magazine in this rifle is too low and when cycling the bolt it rammed the round back down into the case.

The problem is my magazine works on a rail system, there are two guides on the mag and on the rifle there is a rail, with a leaf spring to hold up and in the magazine. The fit on the magazine is ****e and there is a bout 2 - 3 mil of play between the end of the guides and the leaf spring so the magazine isnt sitting high enough, not alot but enough to ram the rounds back into the magazine!! I culd spot weld the shoulders of the leaf spring and file it down till the magazine sits right , but why should i high i payed for a product the SHOULD work, just like the other rifle shoud have worked!! I AM NOT IMPRESSED AT THE MOMENT:mad: , i have had set back after set back with this shop

Before i say what i would like to do any suggestions, as i did have a busy shooting schedule for the next few months to run the rifle through and the course im doing in work is calming down and i finally have the time to shoot!! I still have the receipt, im a packrat like that, should i bring it back get a refund and take my business elsewhere?? O rshopuld i try and fix it and risk riuning the value of the rifle??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Your first choice was the right one, Zastava and Marlin aren't in the same league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

civdef wrote:
    Your first choice was the right one, Zastava and Marlin aren't in the same league.

Well, i wanted a CZ, then i picked a Zastava, and when that had a problem i took the marlin now it has the same problem.

They are lesser quality firearms, there's no real mystery about it. I wouldn't go blaming the shop, they don't make the rifles.

If it's a new gun, and you're not happy with it, take it back.

As far as i know he hasnt opened up the new shop yet, it was new before christmas!! It was sitting in the safe due to work, i went and joined the army, and so only got a chance to shoot it recently i thought i could sort it but i dont want to devalue the gun!! I could bring it back and yes i nkow its not the shops fault but im afraid he might not tale it back as ive had it sooo long!! Im afraid im gona have alot of egg on my face and poorly functioning firearm, it feeds properly when i place the palm of my hand under the magazine as this raises the magazine to the proper level, however i paid for the rifle and i shouldnt really have to this!!

Under consumer legislation, it's hard to see how they could refuse to give you a refund / replacement, as it's faulty.You haven't had it that long relatively speaking.

You might be better offf talking to them in person rather than giving out about them on a web forum?

• Advertisement

civdef wrote:
    Under consumer legislation, it's hard to see how they could refuse to give you a refund / replacement, as it's faulty.You haven't had it that long relatively speaking.

You might be better offf talking to them in person rather than giving out about them on a web forum?

True enough Civ but i felt like a rant!! Im sure you could understand!! Ill have to head over tomoorrow maybe friday, do you know if they have reopened yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Marlins are priced higher then CZ's in Ireland as far as i know someone might give you a straight swop which im sure would suit you.

Even though i paid 480 for my CZ i still had to take the stock off float the barrel and do a bit of work on the trigger to get it working the way i want.

Unless you look at the likes of the quad or the anschutz you are going ot get imperfections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Without trying to sound flippant.Why not just order a new mag from Marlin???
    Tell them the problem and that thier QC screwed up on this gun/mag.

Without trying to sound flippant.Why not just order a new mag from Marlin???
    Tell them the problem and that thier QC screwed up on this gun/mag.

Tried their site, no email address to complain about the faulty magazine, went through all the papers i got with the rifle and no way to order international!!, also tried the online shop same story no international orders!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

If you like the gun and are otherwise happy with it , why not bring it to
    a proper gunsmith and have him look at it..
    He will have no problem ordering another mag if needed.

A better option than trying to fix it yourself ,
    Otherwise go down the consumer rights route. If you do decide to do that , then your first stop is where you bought it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I completely see where you are coming from. There is only one decent dealer near me (he can be cranky and its not his main job) so I always have to travel at least 3 hours if I want something even slightly exotic.

So if I do my 3 hour round trip and get home and the product is faulty, my oh my do I have a mini freak out.

But as the lads say talk to the dealer, tell him the problem and maybe he has another one of those rifles and can just switch the mags for you. If you like the rifle (marlin are considered a better rifle, never used one though) keep it but just get the mag sorted.

Bullets who posts here had awful trouble with his mag in his cz452 in .17HMR. It barely fit in the rifle. Over time this freed up and it now fits perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Hi newby i also have a marlin 917 .17 hmr its 4 years old now and it has had the same problem with the mag since new
    as far as i know this is a design flaw and a new mag wont cure it
    ive had to grin and bear it all this time but now it doesnt bother me ive got used to it sometimes the bolt will also pull straight out of it if pulled to hard .
    but even with these problems i wouldnt get rid of it as it has taken the lives of thousands of bunnies since ive had it ive tried them all .22 .22mag and none can compare to the accuracy ive seen from the marlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

From what ive read online any .17hmr rifle will group in the region of 1/2" to 1" with their being some exceptions its just a very accurate round and will shoot in any rifle which the same cant be said for alot of other calibres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

newby.204 wrote:
    Tried their site, no email address to complain about the faulty magazine, went through all the papers i got with the rifle and no way to order international!!, also tried the online shop same story no international orders!!!

Nice to see Marlins after sales sucks as always!:mad:
    Did u try gunparts.com or brownells.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have an Anschutz 1416 in .22lr, I bought it secondhand and there was no mag with it.
    This being the age of the "innernet" I obtained a genuine anschutz mag from the states and another pattern mag also from the states.
    These mags are both 10rd mags and I use them to switch between subs and super ammo in the field.
    Last night I had 2 feed problems where the round didn't chamber correctly and actually bent, I was about to blame the pattern mag but it turned out to be the genuine magazine!
    In retrospect I may have been in too much of a hurry working the bolt and possibly may have not pulled the bolt back far enough to eject the case.
    My point is that some rifles feed better than others and if you spend a little time with the gun watching it feed then it is possible that you may be able to correct it yourself.
    Is there anything on the net about feed problems with the Marlin? the Yanks have lots of opinions on how to tinker with most guns:)
    edit:
    Chuckhawks review of the 917 marlin has found the same problem
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_varmint_rifles.htm

Against my better judgement and pretty much everyones advice i had a go at the magazine myself, as i didnt want to get rid of the rifle and it wasnt worth the hassle due to work commitments!!

Anyway its fixed and functionning flawlessly, the rail that secures the magazine to the action wasnt square to it and needed a couple of degrees of persuasion, the play on the magazine is still there but its no longer a factor.

So im happy and i retract my statements in so far as i cant hold it against outdoor hobby as they dont make the firearms, however all of the other hassle still stands. Its in the past and ive got my functioning rifle, now all i have to do is get a trigger kit from the US and ill be away and a hack!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats great Newby.204, I'm glad it worked out for you.
    I had a go off a mates bull barrel marlin .17hmr and it was deadly accurate,I hope yours is the same!

Advertisement