Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English !!!!

Options
  • 19-06-2007 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Ok, next year am going to be doing the leaving cert . But I want to do higher level English I got 70% in ordinary level in my Christmas test . But he does not know about I want to do it . We have the play done and the one full year of exam papers for ordinary level . But next year when I go back he will not be there because of his age !!. But before he went he told all of us what he thought of your standard .He told me that I can right very long answers not like much students but there is only one more boy in the class how can do the same length of answers . but he told us when he asked him and the end of the last school day what level are we doing he said there was a good few of you that are fit to do higher level . But who ???? Lol and is it to late for me to do higher level English next year ???? . We have done the play and the novel and level ordinary exam papers one and two .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

So let me get this straight.Are you in a pass class now deciding whether or not to move up to higher level or are you in a mixed class who will decide next year what level they are each doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

I mean if your prepared to work..go for it..remember a c3 in hon = a1 in pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It is late but very do-able.

If you have a high gramatical standard and expansive vocabulary, it makes things a lot easier for the exam, because you can cover up on a deficiency of knowledge of the texts with complex answers. Because you're making up for lost time you'll need to use all of your assets, especially when you've other subjects to consider. It's not worth letting all your other subjects slip ecause you wanted to do honours english.

As with most subjects, it'll be easier if you have a genuine interest and will put the work in, in your own time to learn poetry, read the novels, re-read and understand the play et cetera.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Are you bring serious, just going by the standard of English in your post and your Christmas result in ordinary i would think it'd be a big jump, But you could go ahead and take it up, and if you find it too difficult you can drop after Christmas next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭cartman444

yeah of course you could...........go for it!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭greydiamond

You should have done honours from the offset. You sound like your well able to do honours english. Its not that bad if you work at it, horribly long paper but once its over its such a good feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

You should have done honours from the offset. You sound like your well able to do honours english. Its not that bad if you work at it, horribly long paper but once its over its such a good feeling

Only thing is...is pass different, in terms of plays or something? or comparatives??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Remember, the leaving cert is the most difficult thing you'll ever do and you'll need a heart of stone not to cry like a baby coming out of the exam halls after each exam.

(Sorry, I thought I'd start early scaring next year's candidates)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Cabla wrote:
    Only thing is...is pass different, in terms of plays or something? or comparatives??
    Em well for starters you'll have to do at least 5 poets with 5-6 poems per poet in honours.

In passyou only have to do onee poem per poet in lesser detail and the poets are all different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭greydiamond

Ha ha scare away, as of 2morrow im FREE!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I would say it to the new teacher, but I mean... only if they think you're going to be able to.

No point in wrecking yourself catching up only to drop again. A fairly high standard of written English, and agreement of pronouns within sentences and stuff is required.

Just saying like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

i'd say go for it if you are willing to work for it. points for ordinary level are so low. a mate of mine took ordinary level english for junior cert n decided in fifth year she wanted to do higher and aced her way through it.. im sure she wil get a good B grade in august at least.

go for it!!!! teachers can be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭cheater

this has got to be a p*sstake... I can write very long answers.. thats priceless, If you want my honest opinion stick to pass and improve you B3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Just stick with the ordinary level and go for the A1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I would say stick with ordinary tbh ... you have to do Shakespeare for Honours, and iirc you don't do that at all at ordinary, so 'twould mean going through the whole work, while the Honours class has probably done it already (most schools do it in 5th year).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

I was failing Higher Level at the end of fifth year and got an A2 in the mocks in Ordinary...so no...I think its a step too far.

Advertisement