Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my cat is wreaking my neighbours heads

Options
  • 19-06-2007 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Hi All

im looking for some help, im living in a new housing estate, and my cat settled in fine,

the only thing is, my neighbours are giving out about her saying she is coming into their houses when the windows are open,

and as its coming into the summer they are really annoyed with my cat as they cant open their windows.

its very embarrasing for me, but i dont know what i can do, other than find a new home for her i really dont want to be annoying my new neighbours,

any advice would be great :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Mawg

Hmm, that's a tough one. Just make sure your neighbours aren't cruel to your cat about it. My neighbour on one side has hit my cats with the highheel of a shoe, and one of them has had their pelvis broken, just for going into their garden.

There's really no positive way to deal with it, I mean you can't reward the cat for not going in, if you get what I mean. Maybe give your neighbours permission to spray the cat with water if they find him/her in their houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

jeni wrote:
    Hi All

im looking for some help, im living in a new housing estate, and my cat settled in fine,

the only thing is, my neighbours are giving out about her saying she is coming into their houses when the windows are open,

and as its coming into the summer they are really annoyed with my cat as they cant open their windows.

its very embarrasing for me, but i dont know what i can do, other than find a new home for her i really dont want to be annoying my new neighbours,

any advice would be great :)

They sound like cranks TBH. Surely if they shouted and chased your cat out of the house a few times, she'd probably get the message eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Keep your cat in your own house? You can create a cat proof run & allow her acces to part of the house whilst having out time??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Put it on a retracting leash in your garden, long enough so it can't get out.

stovelid wrote:
    They sound like cranks TBH. Surely if they shouted and chased your cat out of the house a few times, she'd probably get the message eventually.

Cats never get "the message"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Gingerspice99

hi

I have the same prob but the neighbours are OK about it - I asked them to scare her out. And it seems to be working. Every time she goes into their house they clap their hands and shout to scare her out. She doesn't go in very often anymore and she cautious going in to their garden.

She is still friendly towards them when they come into my house so it hasn't effect her nature or her temperment. :D

let me know how you get on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

You'll be in a spot of bother when one of your neighbours accidentally
    locks your cat in their house before heading off on a 2 week holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Try keeping your cat indoors.
    It is a lot safer that way and is not annoying the neighbours and your cat will probably have a longer life as it doesn't have to deal with the dangers outside. Cats do not need to be let outside if they have everything they need indoors. You might just have to spend an extra bit of time playing with her.
    It's not nice having to deal with other people cats, there is a tom in my area who sprays my front door and car and he poos around my garden. It isn't nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 city girl

Although many cats are ok as indoor only cats its still nice to let them be safely outdoors. My garden is walled but I am very close to a main road. Rather than face the trauma of her inevitable death by RTA, I have put up a topper of aviary wire that slopes inwards. It works and doesnt look bad at all! She has a cat flap and comes and goes as she pleases. Cat is happy, I am happy and my neighbours are thrilled not to have cat's poop in their gardens. Got all the stuff I needed in Homebase, B+Q etc

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

tell your neighbours to take a chillpill and deal with it.

it's a cat. that comes into the house.

make 12 seconds of noise and it'll be gone

sheesh

do people not deal with logic and reason anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is there smelly stuff you can put on top of the wall tha tthe cat won't like?
    deaddonkey wrote:
    it's a cat. that comes into the house.

make 12 seconds of noise and it'll be gone
    And if the person has a sleeping baby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Tell your neighbours to get a dog.

Victor wrote:
    Is there smelly stuff you can put on top of the wall tha tthe cat won't like?And if the person has a sleeping baby?

spare me the 'think of the children' horse****

please.
    cats are famous for their inclination to attack sleeping infants ;)
    some people are so unreasonable and illogical i actually can't believe it sometimes.

deaddonkey wrote:
    some people are so unreasonable and illogical i actually can't believe it sometimes.

Get a mirror and believe it. Nobody should have to put up with their neighbours animals coming in their windows. The OP in their kindness has requested ways of not pi**ing of the neighbours, not justification for uncontrolled cats.

it's hardly a matter of 'putting up with it'

it doesn't even rate as an inconvenience

if a cat sometimes coming in your window is the only thing you have to complain about, then really, i wish we could swap lives, because i could do with less problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

deaddonkey wrote:

please.

I don't think there was a suggestion that the cat would attack a baby, rather that the "12 seconds of noise" would wake and disturb a baby.

Some people just don't like cats, and telling them to chill about it just isn't going to help at all.
    deaddonkey wrote:
    it doesn't even rate as an inconvenience

Who are you to say what inconveniences other people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

deaddonkey wrote:

please.

I don't think the cat would attack a sleeping infant, but cats like warmth and where would a cat see as a nice sleeping area other than the corner of the infants cot, or under the blankets. The fear of cats when it comes to babies is to do with the possiblity of the cat sleeping on top of the baby and smothering it. A young baby would be unable to move an adult cat from sleeping on it's face.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 city girl

jeni

you can do the following if you want to solve the problem with your cat and the neighbours

1. Keep the cat as an indoors only cat
    2. Build an enclosure for the cat in your garden attached to the house
    3. Fence your garden in such a way that the cat cannot get out
    4. Rehome the cat

Bear in mind that there is a rising number of people who do not want other people's animals (even cats considered "free spirits") on their property. They may not want their gardens used as a cat toilet and, if sufficiently aggravated, they can even resort to poisoning your pet. Take responsibility!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Or rehome the neighbours...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was talking about the noise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement