Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting to CSS

Options
  • 19-06-2007 7:20pm

Hello.

I currently run the United Federation of Planets, and I am beginning to start the episode guides.

The episode guides will eventually consist of over 600 pages, and I want to be able to easily change the design in the future if I need to.

I have been advised to use CSS to acomplish this. I have no ideas how to use CSS to style my site, can anyone help me please??

Or, is there a good CMS, easy to skin similar to my own design that I could use?

Many thanks.

R.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

For information on CSS take a read of the w3schools CSS section. That should teach you all you really need to know to get started and into CSS. From there it is really just playing around till you get to gribs and are comfortable using it.

There are many CMS systems which can be tailered to suit your needs. I cant think of any off the top of my head but some of the other people here should know about them and how easy they are to setup/use. A quick google should also help you find CMS systems to test out.

Which would be better, CSS or CMS?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

OK ... css is just how it displays on screen ...

Having nicely formatted code makes it a lot easier to display your information in whatever way you want ...

A cms is a content management system which is basically how you enter in your data to the system ... in an easy to use online manner ....

You'll want to investigate both really if you want the time :)

I'd probably recommend you investigate Joomla ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

If you are going to have over 600 pages you definitely should use CSS. Learning it (which isn't hard) will save you a lot of time.

For a site of that size accessibility will be important. You'll want it to look as you have intended in all browsers on all computers. It might be a lot of work, battling against IE7 and the like, but it's worth it in the end.

The CSS validator may come in useful:
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

How will it consist of over 600 pages?? It's built with php, surely you'll have a database for the episode details? You could make it with just one page and a couple of functions to select the details of the episode based on the users selection of series and episode number very simply... :confused:

More n topic, css is still a huge must in my books, the idea is to seperate layout and appearence from the actual content, so you can edit as seperate entities. CSS ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

Good point actually. Surprised I miss that.

Use a MySQL database and have PHP select the content depending upon a variable. If you are looking for an example, this forum is one.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53454889

p is simply the variable that is used to pull up post 53454889 from the database.

Thanks for the replies. Going to get the CSS done first, then gona hopefully get onto a mySQL database... but I need help!

OK guys. I have tried getting a 3 column CSS style. http://www.ufpst.co.uk/test.php

Few things, how do I make the central column so that it is in the centre?

Also, the side left column is too small to fit the contents?

Now, for the hard one, how to I get the logo and main navigation from http://www.ufpst.co.uk to appear here?

Cheers.

Advertisement