Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Eircom story

Options
  • 19-06-2007 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi

Today I received my latest Eircom bill, and they've decided to charge me a smacking € 120 extra as "misc debit" for my next period, totalling a bill of € 184,16
    Upon calling the helpdesk, all they could offer me - after being put on hold for a good 25 minutes - that they'll credit the wrong amount on the next bill.
    Considering I'm going on holidays next month, and € 120 being a lot of margharitas in Spain, I naturally didn't agree with this.

Besides; I'm already cancelling my account, so I don't really feel like an extra 3 months of ""free"" eircom ..

The agent was going to try and transfer me to his supervisor, but she funnily enough "was busy at the moment".
    She was going to, and I quote: "Call me back ....... tomorrow or .............. later."

Luckily enough for me I can ring Eircom from work, so I'll be back on the phone tomorrow..
    I've worked at a helpdesk for a couple of years myself, so I know a bit how it goes.
    If all else fails I'm probably cancelling the direct debit; suppose then they'll suddenly be able to call me back.

*sigh*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

My "last bill" had another months rental. I rang and they said it would be sorted on a further bill, and it was OK not to pay it,

Indeed a week later, I got a corrected bill. I operated with eircom on a "I'll pay you money when I feel like it and if I think the bill is correct" basis for years, cancelled and went to Chorus and then had to go back.They wanted 120 reconnection. I refused to pay it but paid the rest and after 6 months they dropped the reconnection charge.

I avoid DD. It gives the operator a licence to dip into your pocket for as much as they like. It's too late when you have received the bill in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

watty wrote:
    I avoid DD. It gives the operator a licence to dip into your pocket for as much as they like. It's too late when you have received the bill in the post.

Unfortunately many operators insist on DD before you sign up. I noticed I was overcharged on my BT bill(which is paid by DD) last month, they said the overcharge will be re-funded to my account, but I was lucky to notice it, as with online billing you don't tend to check your bills as often as with paper bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

heyjude wrote:
    Unfortunately many operators insist on DD before you sign up. I noticed I was overcharged on my BT bill(which is paid by DD) last month, they said the overcharge will be re-funded to my account, but I was lucky to notice it, as with online billing you don't tend to check your bills as often as with paper bills.

I got overcharged by BT last month as well. I got through to them straight away :eek: and explained why I thought I was being overcharged. After about 5 minutes of humming, hawing, bluster, being put on hold, etc, he explained that it was because I was being charged for line rental and the broadband, then they were subtracting a discount for the two, and they were then adding on the last carried-forward amount from the previous fiscal..........

I explained that it was pretty simple. Their website said €40 per month. Two months of billing meant a bill of €80, not €84.99 or some such.
    Eventually he agreed that did seem wrong (obviously my 5 years of engineering maths paid off somewhere!) and that they hadn't applied the correct discount, but that it will be applied on my next bill.

Happy, I hung up, then realised with dismay that I'll be doing exactly the same thing when I get the next overcharged bill. :( Oh well...

Didn't they go about introducing a bill a few months ago to stop companies from just using a DD as a pot to dip into as they felt like?

Advertisement