Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Kayaking

Options
  • 19-06-2007 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I want to get into Sea Kayaking and i was wondering what type of Kayak I should buy? I will be using it in the Atlantic a good bit. And are those sit on ones any use?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 podgerodge

The Bic sit on top like the bilbao are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I have a sit-on thats great for messng around on in summer. In winter you're better off with the traditional sit in kayak for the extra protection. Just be sure you can roll the sit in if needed or at the very least have someone else for an x or t rescue if you go over. If you don't have experience in kayaks you'd be well off to get lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Agree about the lessons. When one of those wobbly things roll on you and you are upside down strapped into a boat wondering what to do next it will come as a bit of a shock to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 aminimhurchadha

i got a perception scooter sea kayak last year in great outdoors and its fantastic, especially if you're just starting. they're not too heavy and they're basically unsinkable, very stable too.its a sit - on one which i prefer and if you wear a wetsuit its fine all year round, probably safer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Thanks for all the advice, I did get lessons and now i have the basics however, I feel the river kayaking might be a better option, I am getting lessons in that too off the ICU. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I'm actually getting back into water sports again.I've put 300 down on a sea-kayak.I think its a piranha kayak.I'll be using it in the Irish Sea a lot.Typically from Dollymount down to Greystones or Dollymount to Skerries and will be going down the West to Mayo to kayak around Clew Bay etc.

My only problem is transporting it as I don't have my own car and roof rack.My friend has a river kayak that will fit into his boot and maybe on his roof rack.I've done canoeing down in Dollymount before so I'm a bit more experienced.Does anybody else find themselves in the same position as me?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

blackbelt wrote:
    I'm actually getting back into water sports again.I've put 300 down on a sea-kayak.I think its a piranha kayak.I'll be using it in the Irish Sea a lot.Typically from Dollymount down to Greystones or Dollymount to Skerries and will be going down the West to Mayo to kayak around Clew Bay etc.

My only problem is transporting it as I don't have my own car and roof rack.My friend has a river kayak that will fit into his boot and maybe on his roof rack.I've done canoeing down in Dollymount before so I'm a bit more experienced.Does anybody else find themselves in the same position as me?

Hi Blackbelt,
    The sea kayaks are quite long, not quite sure how you are gonna manage without a car, you might just have to paddle all around the coast to Mayo, Go North around Derry/Donegal, it's probably shorter. ;)
    The west coast is quite rough, I got lessons from Shearwater (they do courses out in Howth) and I told them i had a house on the coast in Clare and wanted to go Sea Kayaking there, he was quite an experienced Kayaker and said, it's really difficult, not at all like the Irish sea, dangerous currents and undertows, big waves, but if you have done it before, more power to you. I think i might stick to the rivers and lakes until i build up my confidence. Can't see any way round getting a Kayak around and about without a car, sorry.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I might take up the course with shear water,I know the man who runs it to see.I did it for 4 years but this was actual canoeing.

Problem is that I don't have my own car or roof rack as I drive my mothers car so thats me limited for a year until I leave college and get a job to properly save for car and roof-rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

blackbelt wrote:
    I might take up the course with shear water,I know the man who runs it to see.I did it for 4 years but this was actual canoeing.

Problem is that I don't have my own car or roof rack as I drive my mothers car so thats me limited for a year until I leave college and get a job to properly save for car and roof-rack.

Same problem as you here. I work but I don't drive and don't really have any desire to start.

Does anyone know, are there any clubs for sea or river kayaking that have facilities for you to store your own kayak?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭WildWater

mcgarnicle wrote:
    Same problem as you here. I work but I don't drive and don't really have any desire to start.

Does anyone know, are there any clubs for sea or river kayaking that have facilities for you to store your own kayak?

I'm not based in Dublin so I can't answer your question but this would seem like a good place to start your search

http://www.canoe.ie/Clubs/ListofClubs/tabid/980/Default.aspx

Happy paddling

• Advertisement
Advertisement