Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

open drive explanation

Options
  • 19-06-2007 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Ok my friends are abit fuzzy as to what exactly it covers. Where is it stated in some legal form what Open Drive is ?

Am I correct in say: Anyone can drive the policy owners car ( when the policy owner has open drive ) as long as that person has their own policy on another car? Named drivers cannot drive a car belonging to an open driver policy? So bascially both parites must have their own policy on a car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

For a definitive answer check the wording of your policy as it can
    vary depending on the underwriter.

If you can't understand it or find it ambiguous, ring your insurer/broker
    for clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Normally open drive goes like so:

You are comprehensively insured on your own car. This gives you the right to drive somebody else's car with third party only cover. The car must be insured by its owner and you must have their permission to drive it. That's how it is with my Quinn policy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Evo

thanks guys!
    has anyone every come across a policy that allows anyone with a full license drive someone's car with their person even if that person is not insured on any car or even as a named ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Open driving is where anyone with a full licence and the permission of the policy holder is covered to drive the vehicle. They do not have to have any insurance of their own however there may be some restictions - often they have to be between 25 and 70 and they may only be covered for 3rd party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Stephen wrote:

You are comprehensively insured on your own car. This gives you the right to drive somebody else's car with third party only cover. The car must be insured by its owner and you must have their permission to drive it. That's how it is with my Quinn policy anyway.
    Incorrect. Open driving is where anyone, within limits, is covered to drive your car under your policy. The limits vary, according to the insurer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Usually between 25 and 70 with no convictions/endorsements.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Stephen wrote:

This is Driving other Cars (DOC).

Testicle has it right. There are lots of different types of Open Drive

i.e. Open Restricted 30+
    Open Named (i.e. Open Driving 30 + but with a few named under 30)
    Open Restricted 25+

The list can go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Stephen wrote:

This is known as "Driving of other cars". Normally any Fully Comp poilicy includes this as standard. However as other posters have stated make sure you read the fine print on your policy.

Not all insurance policies are the same:

- Customer Service varies
    - Windscreen is not always automatic
    - Some insurance companies offer breakdown assist free, others it's extra
    - The excess you have to pay in the event of a claim can vary wildly (some companies will offer cheaper policies if you opt to pay a higher excess (Xcess Direct))

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

From my experience with FBD we had a open 25+ named policy.

ie we had a number of vehicles under the policy where anyone over 25 and under 70 with a full license was insured to drive them, regardless of being insured on any other vehicle.
    Also a few people under 25 were named and could drive any of the vehicles.

But as mentioned above it varies between insurers

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Stephen wrote:

You don't need to have fully comp for this though, i'm only tpft and when I rang up to let QD know I had passed my test they gave me my discount and told me it opened me up to drive other cars as long as they are insured and I had their permission. The requirement is only that you have a full license.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I smell a potential scam here.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

Driving of other Cars (DOC)
    Is where the policy holder can drive any other car and they will have automatic cover on that car, cover will be third party, check with your Insurance company as terms & conditions do vary.

With regards Hibernian, the policy holder can drive ANY other car as long as the car is not registered on the policy holders name i.e The person owns two cars and buys one policy. Or if the car is Leased or Hired to them.

With regards Axa, DOC can offer COMP cover if the policy holders car is over 2000CC and their car is over €40K (Open to Correction)

Some companies require the car to be taxed & NCT'd only, they will not require the car to be insured, some don't

Open Driving
    This is where ANY driver with a full licence between the age of 25-70, no claims in 3 yrs,no convictions endorsements etc. can drive the car and they will be covered the exact same as the policy holder is. Well, that's the case with the Insurance company I work for.

The loading for Open Driving is usually around 10% of premium.

Again it does vary from Company to company, so give them a call, gonna cost you a couple cents but at least you will be clear on what your are doing.

You'll will be amazed by the amount of calls we get from the Gardai in relation to these things, if you are driving under these conditions and you are not covered you WILL be done for driving with No Insurance, 1 year off the Road, Licenced Endorsed meaning no company will touch you for 10 yrs and your current company who will be obliged to give you cover when your driving ban ends can charge the balls off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I stand corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Ring the Insurance company, I'm sure they'll be able to tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Cool, I have to say my understanding of open drive was the same as steves. ie you could drive on someone elses policy and I tought you had to be 25+, However after reading this I have learned that I can legally drive other peoples cars, (before now I had been afraid to do this). So anyway I rang insurance company there now to confirm and I do have "DOC". Damn I had alot of chances to drive some really cool cars. Alhough I did get t drive the boll1x out of the 3.2 litre Alfa Brera :D

Advertisement