Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Exam conditions?

• 19-06-2007 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

Lol! My exam conditions have been anything but normal. Today being the worst. Behind me on the second floor of the school is a solid glass window from floor to ceiling. The rain was so bad today, that it was blattering off the window really loud. It eased up for a while ... but then some crows outside decided they really should hit it off ... and the noise from the pair of them was wrecking my head... talk about being broody!!

Then the examiner person who's in the room happens to be the most unhelpful person ever. He decided to sit at the back of the room today and read the paper. Yes a bit broadsheet that rustles all the time. I was in my chemistry exam today with my hand up for ages waiting for extra graph paper. the dosy chap sat doing his crossword.
    So I dropped my pencilcase on the ground ... that didnt work
    I coughed - I pushed the table back ... that didnt work.
    So I jumped up and your man finally got my attention.

He lets people have school bags in the room, and people leave their schoolbags open with their notes in it...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭whatshername!!

yesterday in accounting my examiner kept clicking his fingers. i wanted to scream at him it was so annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Excuse me while I don't shed a tear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yeah, whats the major drama? You're all easily distracted. Get on with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Our examiner is the nicest one we could possibly get.She knows half of us (bout 30 in the room) by name, and in every exam she goes round and gives everyone a sweet!!In history I got like a quarter of the box cause I was the only one there!!Also she'll pick up empty bottles and fill them with water at the back of the room.Shes so nice its unreal.Especially compared to the examiner for the JC.Jesus he was a prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

madgal wrote:
    Then the examiner person who's in the room happens to be the most unhelpful person ever. He decided to sit at the back of the room today and read the paper. Yes a bit broadsheet that rustles all the time. I was in my chemistry exam today with my hand up for ages waiting for extra graph paper. the dosy chap sat doing his crossword.
    So I dropped my pencilcase on the ground ... that didnt work
    I coughed - I pushed the table back ... that didnt work.
    So I jumped up and your man finally got my attention.
    Why not just walk over to them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭microbiek

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Why not just walk over to them?

or just call sir??? ive done it !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

I raise my hand.
    Then wave.
    Then wave frantically
    Then I cough
    Then I cough louder
    Then I cough so loud that I'm afraid of coughing up my lungs
    Then I shout "HEY!"

Then she comes down with paper. But it's only a double sheet of it! I expected another booklet so after 10 mins I have to repeat the above!

Another thing that's really annoying is the size of the tables. I place my biros and pencils in the top right corner, the pens in order of colour (blue, black, red, multicoloured), the pencils in order of tone (2H, H, (I don't use HB), 2B). On the left hand corner I place a packet of tissues (moisturised ones of course) just in case of emergencies. There's nothing more annoying than the sniffing kid. Below the pens and pencils in the right hand corner, I place my bottle of Volvic water. Beside the packet tissues I place the non-essentials for example a compass just in case I'll need it in the middle of a French exam, you never know. I place one highlighter in the top of the desk, directly in the middle (sideways of course).

But then when I get the paper and booklet there is insufficient space and invariably something falls off!:mad:
    This is worsened by the fact that I use both the English and Irish versions of the papers!

What could be worse?!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

A fat woman sitting on your desk trying to seduce you would be slightly worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

I raise my hand.
    Then wave.
    Then wave frantically
    Then I cough
    Then I cough louder
    Then I shout "HEY!"

Then she comes down with paper. But it's only a double sheet of it! I expected another booklet so after 10 mins I have to repeat the above!

Another thing that's really annoying is the size of the tables. I place my biros and pencils in the top right corner, the pens in order of colour (blue, black, red, multicoloured), the pencils in order of tone (2H, H, (I don't use HB), 2B). On the left hand corner I place a packet of tissues (moisturised ones of course) just in case of emergencies. There's nothing more annoying than the sniffing kid. Below the pens and pencils in the right hand corner, I place my bottle of Volvic water. Beside the packet tissues I place the non-essentials for example a compass just in case I'll need it in the middle of a French exam, you never know. I place one highlighter in the top of the desk, directly in the middle (sideways of course).
    So why not put your compass stuff and tissues on the ground beside your table?

Or leave stuff in your pencil case as scary as that might sound

Oh God! That's reminded me. I'm sitting behind a heavy girl and everytime she stands up her trousers end up halfway down her thighs!:eek:
    Now those are awful exam conditions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I use both the English and Irish versions of the papers!

You what?! You can do that?! Sh1t, I shoulda done that...

Or leave stuff in your pencil case as scary as that might sound

Then the system would be ruined! THE SYSTEM!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

The examiner I had in my first centre was so dozy. I'd be left with my arm up for 5 minutes in the middle of maths waiting for extra paper while tight on time. At the end of the french listening exam she starts talking to us, asking how it was, while some people still had their papers, and she asked "Who caught the cocaine smugglers" and someone says "The french customs" and she goes "Oh so that's who it was, I couldn't figure it out myself" and some guy who still had his paper opens it up, writes down the answer, and the examiner is none the wiser :rolleyes:

In my later exams my original centre was closed so I was moved to a different one. The examiner was really nice, he just let you walk up and take extra paper if you needed, didn't have to ask. But during Tech Drawing 2 he managed to get half his lunch on my A2 sheets, thankfully I saw before I'd gone to use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

But then when I get the paper and booklet there is insufficient space and invariably something falls off!
    This is worsened by the fact that I use both the English and Irish versions of the papers!

Just put the stuff on the floor next to your desk in the first place, leave a red and blue pen, a calculator and your watch on the desk.
    Loads of space then!!!

I raise my hand.
    Then wave.
    Then wave frantically
    Then I cough
    Then I cough louder
    Then I shout "HEY!"

But then when I get the paper and booklet there is insufficient space and invariably something falls off!:mad:

What could be worse?!:rolleyes:

I think you need help sir. I can reccommend a good relaxation therapist, Dr Heinken.

I can reccommend a good relaxation therapist, Dr Heinken.

Who needs beer when one can buy 100 colouring pencils in the euro shop for €2 and spend the night arranging them in order of colour, light to dark, on one's desk? OOOOOOOOOHHHHH YEEAAAH.:cool:

A Postman Pat coloring book is on its way to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Who needs beer when one can buy 100 colouring pencils in the euro shop for €2 and spend the night arranging them in order of colour, light to dark, on one's desk? OOOOOOOOOHHHHH YEEAAAH.:cool:

Disturbing ... *a valid reason not to be a pioneer*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Nehpets wrote:
    A fat woman sitting on your desk trying to seduce you would be slightly worse

Well, not if your partial to a hefty lady, but whatever floats your boat and all that ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Reminds me of this guy in my class who brought 4 calculators with him into his Math exam, both papers.

• Advertisement

obl wrote:
    You what?! You can do that?! Sh1t, I shoulda done that...
    You're doing the exam through Irish I presume?

I couldn't have lived without the English papers also tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

i had to put up with one of those people who finish everything really really early (not because they knew all the answers) and insist on sitting in the exam centre for the duration of the exam fidgeting, coughing, clicking pens, arranging things on her table, knocking things off her table, humming, and anything theing else she could do to amuse herself while making the most noise possible!!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 P-mac

Our examiner decided to give us a lecture (the same one each day) before every test about how we're entering a world....our oyster....oppertunities...more to life than the LC...all that jazz. Suppose it kind of settled the auwl nerves! Nothing worse than sitting beside a speed writer though

i will admit thought that i had a really loud ticking clock that people complained about but i did get rid of it when they said it to me..

i also insisted on having a packet of smarties in every exam, i reduced noise by pouring them on to the table before the exam started though, and i shared too so everyone was crunching n noone complained..

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭cheater

My Exam conditions are the worst...for 10 reasons

(i) Examiner listens to banging tunes, Scooter,Cascada and the like
    (ii) Sometimes he sparks up, cracks open a can, and begins to dance around the place
    (iii) The girl beside me has decided she doesn't want to wash because she wants to keep the same routine everyday and since she didn't take a shower the first day.. well ya
    (iv) The boy in front of me has a little bell that goes off when it's time to move onto the next question
    (v) Some dude beside me arranges everything to percision, before persisting to mess them around with his Irish and English papers
    (vi) The girl behind me is constantly txtn "click,click,click,click,click"
    (vii) The examiners son is up the front constantly.. "psst Da whaz da ansur ta noombur noine"
    (viii) The examiner constantly replies "I dunno an I'm not yer Da" CLICKTSSSSS another can opens
    (ix) The hall is outdoor and we have no tables to lean on.. so its not exactly a hall
    (x) When it rains the ink on our scripts run

so beat that... still pretty confident ill get my 590 points, A2 in Physics was probably me worst so far

how do people manage to get away with texting or have the time to???

i had the person behind me texting constantly during the j.c. n it drove me mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭cheater

Ok no.. I was joking, my exam conditions are fine, not too hot not too cold, not too loud not too quiet, not too packed not too empty, Just right

ah i see.

i also found it disturbing when the people taking ordinary level finished before higher level and gathered outside in the corridor to discuss the paper and arrange where to go for lunch. i have no problem with people taking ordinary level or the fact they finish early but why oh why do they have to gather directly outside the exam centre?????

ok im gonna stop complaining now.. none of these things hindered my exam performance, just annoying me now that i think about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

I use both the English and Irish versions of the papers!
    Ahh Jesus, I didn't know you could do that! I asked months ago if I could get the Irish and, if it was too hard to understand, change. And I was told no.

As for conditions, I couldn't have asked for better. The examiner's real nice. I don't know if he knows us all by name, but he knows me, that's all that matters! :D No sweets though... :(
    fionated7 wrote:
    i also found it disturbing when the people taking ordinary level finished before higher level and gathered outside in the corridor to discuss the paper and arrange where to go for lunch.
    The thing that annoys me about the ordinary level students isn't the noise, it's that they all seem to stay so much longer than me... It's disturbing that they're running out of time on an easier exam than I just flew through in half an hour. (We'll see who's disturbed on 15/8 though, I guess...)

And another thing, is those people who worry too much. Keeping an exact routine, bringing an entire stationary shop, timing their questions to the millisecond... It's not right! Relax, you'll send yourself to an early grave with that sort of thinking!

My "routine" is waking up, having a shower and breakfast. The same "routine" Í've had since I first started showering and feeding myself.

Ahem, sorry. I seem to be going off on a rant. One more thing...

I know it's impossible to change because it's impossible to please everyone, but the timetables are quite a bitch. We could have been off last Thursday, but oh no, they feel the need to drag us from our taste of freedom for one last day this Friday! Messed up my holiday plans etc.

• Advertisement

Richie15 wrote:
    Ahh Jesus, I didn't know you could do that! I asked months ago if I could get the Irish and, if it was too hard to understand, change. And I was told no.
    I presume you could have just ticked the boxes on the form you had to fill out and the dept. would have sent the Irish paper to your school especially for you ;)

In any case, you could still have answered through Irish if using the English paper.

Advertisement