Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheap......ish cars with oooomph!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

however i don't think the honda would have the torque of the others - you need to ring its neck....in a very very good way:D

VTEC engines love to have the nuts revved off them anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Stephen wrote:
    VTEC engines love to have the nuts revved off them anyway :D

Going over 8,000 rpm on a daily basis is addictive!:D Especially the change in engine note at ~5,500rpm or so:D

As Clarkson said (talking about the S2000), you don't use your ears to know when to change gear, you use the rev counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

JHMEG wrote:
    Going over 8,000 rpm on a daily basis is addictive!:D Especially the change in engine note at ~5,500rpm or so:D

As Clarkson said (talking about the S2000), you don't use your ears to know when to change gear, you use the rev counter.

Yeah i know - was out a quick spin in a 3 door recently. At first i wasn't very impressed with how fast it seemed.... was holding the revs all the way until i realised that the speedometer was set in mph and not km/hr .....opps:eek: suddenly the speed it got to 80 mph and not 80 Km/hr seem so so much different!:D Qucikly pressed the button to change it over to km/hr!
    Was very impressed overall - loads of toys as well.

Stephen - how is yours on juice? Returning the ecomony of a 1.5 / 1.6 as claimed??

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TheOneToBe

Unfortunately I will be selling my baby 2006 North America Fiji Blue Perl Civic Coupe Si, which is basically equivalent to Type R. I am moving to Ireland and have to sell it…it is hard to do it since I will be getting 15K – 16K for it and I would have to pay another 20K to get to same level :( ….
    All I can say Honda all the way… once you hit 8300 RMP you will never try anything else. This car is so much fun. It is like regular car at low RPM’s but once you go over 5000+ and hit VTEC…. :) 6 speed gear box is amazing… Honda quality is like no other…In North America where it very competitive, there is only two manufactures that can give you reliable car (that you will not need to change anything on for at least 100 000 km) and excellent resale value, and they are Toyota and Honda…
    I only think that at 36 000 euro, it is a bit over priced, and I would consider to get it if I would be abele to negotiate a price bit lower….

Couldn't tell you yet Longshanks, just picked it up this morning :D
    I filled the tank (50 litre capacity) and took it for a quick run up a national primary route and it was claiming 750km worth of fuel left. It dropped to 600-something around town.

That Type-R price tag is down to the punitive taxes on motoring in Ireland. Once your engine hits 2.0 litres Vehicle Registration Tax payable on a new car is 30% (as opposed to 25%). THEN you get to pay 21% VAT on top of the car+VRT amount!

Motorists get screwed pretty hard in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

The honda is sounding less likely ,I'm sure they're a great buzz . But driving responsibly is as important at this stage.

I think I'd get more enjoyment from a good supply of torque ,especially if it's done quietly.

Thanks for the replies ,

Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

Heart says....

156/147 GTA all the way, great looks, great performance, cheap to buy for what you get and as reliable as any other car when looked after. Downsides are about 20-25 mpg on a good day and rough on insurance and tax.

Head says

Buy a diesel, Alfa 156 2.4JTD re-mapped for about 200bhp or 2.4JTDm re-mapped for about 230 bhp, failing those the BMW 330d is very quick. I have the 2.4JTD and the 330d and would keep the Alfa every time over the 330d if I had to get rid of one of them. Upsides of both are about 40-45mpg combined driving and not the worst on insurance for cars that can make 60mph in sub 8 seconds when you want them to and over 140mph on the track or long private road :) .They are both well quick enough to lose you a license very quickly.

Cars I would not recommend, Merc C220, had a run in one yesterday (Avantgarde one) as we were considering a trade for the BMW. EUCH....gutless car, thankfully there were no wet paper bags in the way as it would have come to a complete stop. They are definitely armchairs on wheels with about the same performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

That Type-R price tag is down to the punitive taxes on motoring in Ireland. Once your engine hits 2.0 litres Vehicle Registration Tax payable on a new car is 30% (as opposed to 25%). THEN you get to pay 21% VAT on top of the car+VRT amount!

1.3 mazda.. solve all ur problems.. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TheOneToBe

Stephen wrote:
    Couldn't tell you yet Longshanks, just picked it up this morning :D
    I filled the tank (50 litre capacity) and took it for a quick run up a national primary route and it was claiming 750km worth of fuel left. It dropped to 600-something around town.

Motorists get screwed pretty hard in Ireland.
    Is it possible to get Type R at lower price then MSRP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

projectgtr wrote:
    purely out of the 3 you listed: the type R with out a shadow of a doubt, personally i like the 4door type R but god luck getting one.

what kind of cars have you had up till now??

if personally had 30k id be hunting a Nissan Skyline R34 GTR (vspec2 nur edition if possible:) )
    Was looking these up recently, you'll do well to get a crashed R34 GTR for 30k these days, the prices of them are crazy!

• Advertisement

TheOneToBe wrote:
    Is it possible to get Type R at lower price then MSRP?

You could probably import one from the UK but I don't know whether you'd save any money or not once VRT is applied.

Advertisement