Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading my CPU

Options
  • 19-06-2007 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Hi, My PC is an eMachines 570 with a Celeron and 256MB RAM...I want to install a new processor and add about another 1GB of RAM. The RAM is no problem, I can find a compatible part easilly online but I don't know about the processor...I assume I can't just buy any processor and bung it in and it'll work, so what type of processor can I install? How do I know if the processor I buy will be compatible? I've tried google etc. but no luck...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

From what I can make on Google the machine has a socket 478 and 400Mhz possibly 533Mhz FSB support for Celeron/P4's.

eBay is most likely the best place to search for such a CPU as they are not too commonly sold at retail any more the key thing you need to look out for is the FSB and make sure it supports one of the above ideally a P4 with a 400Mhz FSB like this one as you know that is supported. emachines are pretty poor with support so there is still a small risk that the CPU wont work even if you got to the trouble of finding a proper CPU.

Download CPU-Z and run it to verify what kind of CPU you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

OK, I downloaded CPU-Z and I've attached the text file that I got when I scanned the PC. So if I buy the processor you mentioned, and then add an extra 1GB of RAM, it should speed it up considerably? Also, I was looking at some 2GHz Pentium 4's on eBay, they seem fairly cheap like this one, but if I add a 2GHz P4 will it be any faster since I already have a 2GHz Celeron...i.e, is a P4 faster than a Celeron?
    Thanks.

Advertisement