Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Likelihood of pregnancy?

• 19-06-2007 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

I was having sex with my gf this morning and realised afterwards that the condom was after breaking. We plan to get the MAP tonight. I was just wondering how likely it would be that she was pregnant. Her period finished on Sunday.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

If she has a 28 day cycle or longer ye are fine
    Wouldn't worry to much about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, is her cycle regular or irregular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

I believe her cycles are fairly regular. I've only been with her for 4 months so can't tell for sure. I will ask her. Is it still worth getting the morning after pill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

vorbis wrote:
    I believe her cycles are fairly regular. I've only been with her for 4 months so can't tell for sure. I will ask her. Is it still worth getting the morning after pill?

Yup, better safe than sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

vorbis wrote:
    Is it still worth getting the morning after pill?

Oh definitely! I thought that was a given anyway, and that your enquiry as to whether or not she's likely to be pregnant was separate. Get the morning after pill without a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭rusalka

G&T wrote:
    If she has a 28 day cycle or longer ye are fine
    Actually, it's all down to when she normally ovulates (and that's if her cycles are regular!) - cycle length has little to do with it. Had to reply - I see this sort of thing perpetuated so regularly, and the ignorance is scaring me a bit.:eek:

OP - It's very possible she could become pregnant, depending on how long her period usually lasts for, and how long after she ovulates - some girls have short follicular phases and potentially ovulate only 3-4 days after the end of menses. This means that if she usually has a period for about 6 days, and has a short follicular phase (the time from the first day of her period, to the day of ovulation) of only about 10-12 days, it's possible she could ovulate in the next day or two. Also, in the right cervical conditions, sperm can survive for a few days, so even if she ovulates in the next couple of days, it's still a bit dodgy.

The "safest" time for avoiding pregnancy is usually from a day or two after ovulation, up to the first couple of days of menses. However, women's bodies can sometimes act the maggot, and things can be a little less predictable....:rolleyes: :)

MAP ASAP - just in case....

Also, you might consider consulting your/her GP regarding other contraceptive options if you think there might be possibilities in addition to condoms for you. Unwanted pregnancies can be harsh on all involved.

All the best,
    Ruzi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Excellent reply. My girlfriend is a midwife and I have this stuff at home all the time. Sperm can survive for up to 5 days in your lady friend so anytime before ovulation is def dodgy.

Also people seem to be very flippant about the morning after pill. It's an emergency contraceptive. I'm sure it can't be too healthy to be taking it repeatedly. I'm no expert so maybe I'm wrong.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

get the morning after pill, better safe than sorry. would also advise looking into other contraceptive measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kaalgat

vorbis wrote:
    Is it still worth getting the morning after pill?

Definately!
    Better safe than sorry.

Advertisement