Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

There's not many of us left...

Options
  • 19-06-2007 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed how poor people's indicating has become??...Or is it just me.
    I have been watching out for instances of where people fail to indicate to overtake a person walking, cyclist, parked car or any general obstruction. I mean, on roundabouts is bad enough, but very few people signal their intentions when driving on a striaght stretch.

The other morning coming home from work i was behind a van, at a safe distance, and i seen him touch the brakes, a car passed on the opposite side of the road and then he/she swerved to overtake a cyclist, almost hitting them with the wing mirror. Very poor driving and especailly dangerous when you cant see by a truck or van, at least with a car you can kinda get a view up ahead and anticipate.

Perhaps have a look over the next few days and report your findings.

Rant over :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I've gotten the same guy a few times in front of me going home from work in the evening that drives quite erratically and never indicates. About a 20 minute drive along windy country roads, several dangerous junctions etc.. Recently discovered that he never indicates due to the fact that he carries on a phone conversation every evening while driving home.

Used to be very annoying, now it's just sad. Buy a cheap car kit ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's always been like this! on a side note, if you keep a safe distance behind the traffic in front of you, you'll have plenty time to react to other peoples near misses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

colm_mcm wrote:
    It's always been like this! on a side note, if you keep a safe distance behind the traffic in front of you, you'll have plenty time to react to other peoples near misses.

I was, as i stated, at a safe distance and i signalled and gave the cyclist plenty of room!!
    But had it been someone else, driving a lil closer, who knows what could have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,746 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I was told by my driving instructor that if you are over taking a parked car, or a pedistrian (anyting that it is stinking obvious that you will overtake) you don't need to indicate, unless you moving out to the right will force the car on coming to stop back.

Not many roads in Ireland are wide enough to give a parked car, walker or cyclist enough room, not to cross over the centre line of the road. :rolleyes:
    On roads with enough room, it may be consider more acceptable...but still, a bit of courtesy wouldnt go astray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

What gets me is the people who brake, brake, brake and then at the last second put their indicator on almost as they are taking their turn... this really gets to me.

Indicate before you brake! Please... think of the children!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

This really gets on my nerves. To be honest, in my opinion, the worst offenders are the big car drivers. These are typically middle aged men who think they own the road.

Cormic wrote:
    This really gets on my nerves. To be honest, in my opinion, the worst offenders are the big car drivers. These are typically middle aged men who think they own the road.

The Merc, BMW owners etc etc, i suppose you mean??? LOL :D

IMO...everyone is guilty - seen all car owners, ages, genders, races etc etc doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Cormic wrote:
    These are typically middle aged men who think they own the road.
    They probably do!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Cormic wrote:

i'd say vans, big jeeps and the like are actually the worst offenders, but its always been there, never noticed an increase lately to be honest, being aware is the only way to deal with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah thats it - bash the German Barge merchants - again!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Some people indicate late on purpose I think ,just to let you know that they are in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,347 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What gets me is the people who brake, brake, brake and then at the last second put their indicator on almost as they are taking their turn...

One of my pet hates :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I never said German cars, but now that you mention it... :)

However I mentioned in AH earlier that I was driving from Limerick to Dublin this evening in awful rain. One in ten cars did not have lights on. White van drivers were the worst offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I think I may be a bit anal when it comes to indicating. I suppose driving a van during the day adds to it as the driver behind doesn't have a view past me like you would if behind a car.(through windows to a point) Cars half parked on a footpath, a cyclist etc will always make me give a few right hand flashes. You'd be amazed at the amount of drivers that tail gate a van with feck all vision ahead of them.
    Really gets my blood boiling when I'm getting a lift from one of the folks,they never indicate when they should,old habits I suppose.
    But it's one driving habit(using them) I'm proud to have lodged in my brain.
    and then at the last second put their indicator on almost as they are taking their turn

Ah yes I'll put on my "here's what I'm doing right NOW" flashing light thingy.:rolleyes:

When will they learn what the word indicator actually means.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Tauren wrote:
    I was told by my driving instructor that if you are over taking a parked car, or a pedistrian (anyting that it is stinking obvious that you will overtake) you don't need to indicate, unless you moving out to the right will force the car on coming to stop back.

Not sure about that. Think you have to indicate right whenever an obstruction forces you to intrude onto the opposite carraigeway, regardless of any oncoming traffic.

Then again, I failed my test last christmas :o

Then again, I failed my test last christmas :o

Go sit in the corner ....:D

But have to agree with you there - was thought that you have to signal any move - even if its a car parked half on the kerb!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

its indicate only if you have to cross the center line, otherwise you should be wise enough to proceed carefully and with consideration for on coming traffic.

and staying a safe enough distance behind other traffic is the best way to avoid a sudden manouever

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

Definitely less indicating happening lately.
    You also get drivers making a dodgy\sneaky overtake and don't indicate. Do they think it will draw more attention to their manouver if there orange light is flashing. ('If I don't indicate, it isn't happening' - kind of thing)

Are Merc, Beamer, SUV\4x4 brigade more aggressive and arrogant drivers with the 'out of my way, don't you know who I am' attitude?

What about changing lanes on a dual carraigeway or motorway?
    A change in lane is a change in direction? (heard a uk cop say this on one of those 'police stop' shows on Sky some time back)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Tauren wrote:

Technically wrong on both counts.
    We'll take the first part first - to whom is it stinking obvious that you are about to overtake or pass an obstruction? You could be driving a large vehicle (a la tax man) whereby you restrict the view of any traffic behind you, so to just move out without any warning to following traffic is bad practice.
    However, should you be in a quiet situation, ie no oncoming or follwing traffic (from regular checks of your mirrors), and where no other traffic will benefit from you not indicating, then thats ok.

Secondly, and more importantly, your driving should not force other traffic to change their position or speed.

Personally, i always signal to pass obstructions, such as cyclists, or stuff like small temp. roadwork signs, etc. I do occasionally drive a large van for work, so its about giving both oncoming & following traffic plenty of warning of an obstruction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,746 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

tc20 wrote:
    Technically wrong on both counts.
    We'll take the first part first - to whom is it stinking obvious that you are about to overtake or pass an obstruction? You could be driving a large vehicle (a la tax man) whereby you restrict the view of any traffic behind you, so to just move out without any warning to following traffic is bad practice.
    However, should you be in a quiet situation, ie no oncoming or follwing traffic (from regular checks of your mirrors), and where no other traffic will benefit from you not indicating, then thats ok.

Secondly, and more importantly, your driving should not force other traffic to change their position or speed.

Personally, i always signal to pass obstructions, such as cyclists, or stuff like small temp. roadwork signs, etc. I do occasionally drive a large van for work, so its about giving both oncoming & following traffic plenty of warning of an obstruction
    fair enough, i'm just saying what i was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Tauren wrote:
    fair enough, i'm just saying what i was told.

No probs Tauren,it wasn't meant as an attack on you, its just another example of the poor level of training given to beginner & learner drivers, something i do have a vested interest in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

The worst has to be when youre waiting to enter a roundabout and some pleb comes swinging right around the roundabout taking the 3rd exit with no indicator on , and then indicates LEFT 1 second before taking the exit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Has anyone else noticed how many people do this!?? its so annoying!... id love to stop them and bash their heads of the indicators lamps :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Wossack

Only indicating halfway through a maneuver is a favorite of mine - I know you're going to pull in front of me, you're halfway there already!

Im pretty sure indicating a fraction of a second before turning the wheel isnt propper indicator use either... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I have a few friends who indicate at the last possible moment, I usually try to remind them that:

An indicator is there to indicate your INTENTION to turn, not to indicate that you are currently turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

prospect wrote:
    An indicator is there to indicate your INTENTION to turn, not to indicate that you are currently turning.
    ... unless you're in France :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

I was driving from Galway to Sligo on Sunday and ended up in a long line of cars just outside Galway. Traffic was moving well and I was in no hurry so I was staying well back from the car in front. Some eejit in a Merc pulled in behind me briefly and then, without indicating, overtook not just me but also the car 4 seconds ahead of me, and the white van ~2 seconds ahead of that. Barely made it back over the line before it met oncoming traffic.

Now that's good driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Kadeshh

it annoys me greatly also when people dont indicate especially on roundabouts. what is even worse is those poeple on roundabouts in the wrong lane (outside lane for 2nd turnoff etc) for a turnoff who think that just by indicating they can cut right across you...

on the other hand, arent indicators really only a courtesy to other drivers and not especially nessicary, sure they are usefull but most of the time it is pretty obvious what someone will do.. (just thought i'd throw that out there, ps not my personal opinion, use your flashy orange lights all the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm a learner at the moment and i'm shocked by the complete lack of indicating, but what's worse, and i saw it twice in the last week, is when someone will indicate left and turn right:p, it's insane,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Kadeshh wrote:
    on the other hand, arent indicators really only a courtesy to other drivers and not especially nessicary, sure they are usefull but most of the time it is pretty obvious what someone will do.. (just thought i'd throw that out there, ps not my personal opinion, use your flashy orange lights all the time)

Nope, they're a part of the rules of the road, including how to indicate properly on roundabouts and so on. I hate people not using indicators, it's quite dangerous in a lot of situations! More than just a courtesy thing, it's a major safety thing too. More than once I've been overtaking one of these blatently unaware of the world around them types on a dual carriageway, and have them pull out, practically on top of me, without warning. I wouldn't start an overtaking manoevre if I had any idea the person I was overtaking was about to pull out, i.e. had an indicator on.

Advertisement