Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sally Gap

Options
  • 19-06-2007 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a good climb. i have heard the sally gap is a good place climb and descent. I'm looking for info as where is the best place to start from finish etc. i have climbed the slieve blooms a few times and i would love to try something new.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I would recomend starting around the n81, head out to Kilbride and from there over the gap towards Roundwood. Its a nice route and is usualy quiet at the weekends. Some very tough parts as you reach the crossroads at the top but very do-able.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

can you give me a milage estimate on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The last time I did it we started in the city center, out through tallaght over the gap nd back in by Enniskerry, Nutgrove etc.. it was 65 miles in total if I recall correctly. I'll have a look on gmap-pedometer to check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

E@gle. wrote:
    I am looking for a good climb. i have heard the sally gap is a good place climb and descent. I'm looking for info as where is the best place to start from finish etc. i have climbed the slieve blooms a few times and i would love to try something new.

Out of the four ways to climb to and descend from Sally Gap, personally I only rate the road to Laragh as less good. The other three are IMO equally good, if you have a chance to do all three in either direction do it. The descend from Sally Gap into Glencree is the most technical and challenging with it's twists and turns.

To and from Sally via the Northern road can be done in several ways, you can start from Rockbrook Dublin, or Enniskerry to Glencree, or Enniskerry to Powerscourt waterfall to Glencree. All nice routes again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 blacka01

Membrane wrote:
    The descend from Sally Gap into Glencree is the most technical and challenging with it's twists and turns.QUOTE]

Isn't this the one with the small bridge hidden in the dip? If so be careful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

blacka01 wrote:
    Isn't this the one with the small bridge hidden in the dip? If so be careful!

That's Sally Gap to Kilbride you are thinking of (or less likely: Sally Gap to Roundwood).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

My favourite way to approach it is via Rathfarham, the road between the Yellow House Pub and Kilakee carpark and then on to Glencree. It's a good climb with some steep gradients on the way up to Kilakee. So you've already got one decent workout under your belt before hitting the Sally Gap. Favourite side to come down is via Djouce. Great scenery and a nice little bit of climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Can anyone suggest a safe descent around Dublin. I have no problem climbing but need to practise descending. It's a shame to waste free speed in a race because of nerves.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Can anyone suggest a safe descent around Dublin. I have no problem climbing but need to practise descending. It's a shame to waste free speed in a race because of nerves.

I'd actually say that the majority of descents are safe. What is or isn't safe is the speed at which you take them, i.e. whether you are riding within your abilities or not. Practicing on one hill means you get to know the road really well and you risk being over confident on unfamiliar descents.

If you're racing, you probably know this already, but the things that worked for me (and I'm still only learning) are: 1. riding with better riders and watching how they pick their lines, 2. reading up on countersteering, 3. realising really obvious stuff like learning not to brake on corners, rather before them.

i will be travelling from athlone so leaving from dublin city is not a option for me. i would like to cycle a total of 60 miles including climbing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

You wanna cycle from Athlone to the Sally Gap region? That's some cycle first of all from Athlone to Wicklow (80 miles approx) then the climbs around Sally Gap...

You wanna cycle from Athlone to the Sally Gap region? That's some cycle first of all from Athlone to Wicklow (80 miles approx) then the climbs around Sally Gap...

lol. i meant i will be leaving in my car and leaving from somewher near sally gap is what i meant.

If you want to avoid town, then I guess coming over the Kilbride side is the best option. Go down the M50 and head for Tallaght. You can dump the car in Brittas or Kilbride itself, or even cycle from Tallaght if you fancy the climb up the Embankment. At the top of the Sally Gap, you could then take a right, straight down to Laragh and go over the Wicklow Gap, then on to Valleymount, over the bridges on the resevoir and back onto the Blessington road which would bring you back to the car.

el tonto wrote:
    If you want to avoid town, then I guess coming over the Kilbride side is the best option. Go down the M50 and head for Tallaght. You can dump the car in Brittas or Kilbride itself, or even cycle from Tallaght if you fancy the climb up the Embankment. At the top of the Sally Gap, you could then take a right, straight down to Laragh and go over the Wicklow Gap, then on to Valleymount, over the bridges on the resevoir and back onto the Blessington road which would bring you back to the car.

sounds like a plan. cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

el tonto wrote:
    I'd actually say that the majority of descents are safe. What is or isn't safe is the speed at which you take them, i.e. whether you are riding within your abilities or not. Practicing on one hill means you get to know the road really well and you risk being over confident on unfamiliar descents.
    Something else to watch out for is not just the natural hazards, but I've often had it happen to me that a car would overtake while I'm descending and then immediately pull over and slow down/brake in front of me.

Advertisement