Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third Level Teaching

• 19-06-2007 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭

The college I went to for 5 years is looking for people to form a panel of Full & Part Time lecturers. I'm thinking of putting my name forward (Part Time). Quick run down on my educational experience - I have a Cert / Degree in Computing and a Masters in Strategic Management from another college. 2.1 in both Degree / Masters. Left college in 2006. Work wise, I now work in business banking. Prior to that I've done all sorts of jobs; mainly technical support / testing roles etc. I don’t have any lecturing experience; however my presentation skills are second to none. I would have a good grasp of most of the subjects they need lecturers for (having sat in most of them over the years!!!). I suppose I have a few questions -
    • It is generally accepted that you must prepare your own notes and do most colleges have a pre-defined reading list which you work off?
    • What about setting exam papers? Is there anything I should know about the process?
    • What would the pay be like (P/T)?
    • Could I set myself up as a LTD company (for tax purposes) and bill the college accordingly?
    • Is there anything else I should know / be prepared for?

Thanks for your help.

Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

stepbar wrote:
    Left college in 2006.
    This might be a problem. You generally need three years post-grad experience for most positions.
    It is generally accepted that you must prepare your own notes and do most colleges have a pre-defined reading list which you work off?
    All courses will have a defined syllabus, with recommended reading. Notes are generally built around these. You will find that, unless it is a new course, the previous lecturer will have notes left on a network share somewhere.
    What about setting exam papers? Is there anything I should know about the process?
    TBH, there is loads. Consistency with previous papers the most important aspect, along with ensuring all the material in the exam papers is covered in class. Pitching the questions at the right level can be tricky, I remember setting my first exam paper where all the students got in between 80 and 100%. Oops.
    What would the pay be like (P/T)?
    €60 an hour in the Institutes of Technology.
    Could I set myself up as a LTD company (for tax purposes) and bill the college accordingly?
    There's no need. I just gave them my PPS number, told Revenue not to allocate any tax credits to them (I have a regular 9-5 job too).
    Is there anything else I should know / be prepared for?
    I suppose over the few years I have picked up the following tips:
    • Know your subject matter. Sounds obvious, but how often have you been in a class where the lecturer/teacher hasn't a clue. It instills a sense of doubt in the students and can lead to massive confusion on both sides
    • Don't bull****. Mark my words, you will get caught out. If you don't know something, say so. Take a name/e-mail address and get back to the person. Don't lie.
    • Be confident. Nothing worse than somebody who is unsure of themselves and is fumbling in front of 15-20 people.
    • Preparation is key. Nothing worse than going into a class unprepared. I have done it myself on the odd occasion and it is academic suicide.
    Don't forget you will generally have to set assignments and, depending on the subject matter, practical/lab work. This also takes up some time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Thanks Tom, very informative.

Advertisement