Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My doberman is getting too fat!

Options
  • 19-06-2007 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Worried a bit that my male dobie is getting a little overweight. I know the answer is obviously feed him less but as the three dogs share the food its easier said than done. He even eats less than the female dobie but still is a lot more flabby than her. She looks like and is a fit as a greyhound - he on the other hand can't keep up running with her for very long. They get plenty of exercise at the beach almost every day - sometimes twice a day.

May have to feed him separately but can imagine this will not be so easy. Both dobies are neutered and I was warned that they could put on weight by the vet. Anyone any thoughts /solutions. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Best thing to do would be to feed him separately alright. You can get "light" dog food that is designed for dogs that have put on weight. Maybe take him for an extra walk every day until he slims down a bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Try the light food as mentioned. Are you overdoing it with the dog treats? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

We had golden retreiver (had to be PTS recently) well he would put on weight just like that. We put him on the light complete food and weight all his food and any titbits that he had came out of that quota. We had to watch his weight like a hawk as he had arthrithis at the age of 2 years. He was also neutured as well.

We brought him for lots of swims as we were aware of his arthrithis luckly he adored swimming
    you bring him to the sea chuck a stick into the he go and retrieve this was always ongoing.

Separating the dogs while eating would be helpful so that he would not go to the other bowls. We have a lab now how bolts down her food and we put water in the feed so that it slows her down we look after my parents dog as well who is an older dog who eats more slowly and we separate them not because of aggressiveness but Tas (the lab) would finish her food and then move to the other dogs food and eat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I think it is also important to note that a male will always carry more weight that a female and that some dogs, like humans, carry weight and there is nothin that can be done. unless you think he is carryin a dangerous amount of weight. Wy dont ya weigh them and check the difference. I think it is fair to say the same regarding fitness.....some dogs are just fitter then others

It certainly sounds like you exercise them well and look after them well and considering they are still technically in the puppy stage i would be slow to move to diet dog food

Advertisement