Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bent only wants £35k per week

Options
  • 20-06-2007 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Looks like he will settle for half Spammers offer for first team football - but who does he replace at Spurs? Not Berbatov unless he leaves and not Keane/Defoe, definitely Mido but that's off the bench time.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

If Bent signs, he will be in the 1st choice partnership with Berbs. Surely we are not gonna spend 12/15 million on the lad and have him as an impact sub when things are going wrong !! Robbie's form was brilliant again for the large part of last season but he can be patchy at times too. The one that should be really worried is JD,because if the other 3 are fit, he will struggle to get games again !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Guardian claims Bent will be a done deal for £16m.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2108681,00.html

I'm not happy with the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭colly_browy

Looks expensive on paper alright.
    The last couple of paragraphs go some way towards making sense of it though. Provided he keeps good form that is....

Never mind what the future holds for Defoe, i can see Keano being unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

I think the price is crazy money for Bent.My favoured partnership is Keane and Berb i believe they will be on fire from day 1 next season since their partnership has blossomed,replacing keane with bent as first choice would only mean another bedding in period for our front two,which is only bad news as we need a good start next season.15 million is alot to pay for a sub and also i think JD will be a better impact sub if needed.Jermain Defoe is a yiddo!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭colly_browy

Im starting to warm to the idea. He's a prover Prem goalscorer. Think about all the games next season - you can't rely on one partnership (Keane and Berbatov) and the acquisition of Bent means that we could potentially 3 great patrnerships...
    Keane & Berb
    Bent & Berb
    Keane & Bent
    ...allowing one player a much needed rest/or a failsafe in case one picks up an injury.

Plus - everyone knows J Defoe is a gooner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Losing DeFore would be no real loss and you'll get decent for him as he's an English striker. Then you'd have Berbatov, Keane and Bent and get some young fella in who'll be only too happy to be on a bench and get the odd game here and there for the year till we see where it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

give lee bernard a chance to come through. the lads been exceptional for the reserves over the last couple of seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'd be chuffed if Bent signs. As mentioned previously he's a proven Premiership striker and has more to him than Defoe. He could partner either Keane or Berbatov, meaning that our reliance on Berbs would be lessened (hopefully!). I'd still stick with Keane and Berbs as our primary attack force though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,713 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

What a waste of 16Milliion pounds, just because he's english and scored a couple of goals, Spurs could have used 10 Million to bring in a proven striker from the continent and use the other 6 million to put towards cover for the back four. Very dissappointed about this Big Mistake, I think it is down to Mr Jol :(

Snake

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

What a waste of 16Milliion pounds, just because he's english and scored a couple of goals

Steady on, he's not worth £16m but he's a proven goalscorer in the PL.

Any suggestions of what proven goalscorer from the continent we'd have got for £10m? One that would settle instantly in the league would be nice, and would happily come to a side with no CL football?

• Advertisement

I cant understand why so many people are against the bent signing !! I completely agree with you all when you say he aint worth 16-18 million, probably closer to 8-10 million would be more realsitic, but he would still be a great addition. 23 years of age, has scored goals in the EPL without much problem, and he will no doubt get more goalscoring chances with us, which should result in plenty of goals !! I personally think that if he does sign, the chosen top 2 will be berbs and bent, however with so many games, they will all get chances to impress.

We obviously still need to strengthen alsewhere, assuming the drawn out Kaboul affair concludes with him signing, I can really only see one other new boy (assuming bent signs too). I would imagine this would be a midfielder, wether its a wide left man or a central player is up for debate !!

I see Mido wants 25k a week off Fulham, looks like the deal will fall tru !!:mad:

From bbc

Tottenham are set to complete a deal to sign England striker Darren Bent from Charlton, BBC Sport understands.

The 23-year-old turned down a move to West Ham last week after the Hammers had agreed a £17m fee with Championship side Charlton for his services.

Bent will instead move to Spurs, even though their valuation of the player is some way short of the Addicks' after they had a £13m bid turned down.

The two clubs are believed to have reached a compromise on Wednesday.

Liverpool were also interested in Bent, but they have instead turned their attentions to Atletico Madrid's Spanish striker Fernando Torres.

606: DEBATE
    Your views on Spurs' link to Darren Bent

If Bent had decided to join West Ham he would have rejoined manager Alan Curbishley, who spent £2.75m to bring the striker to Charlton from Ipswich two years ago.

Bent turned down a move to Upton Park in the hope of Spurs or Liverpool making a move for him.

When Spurs capture their man, they may allow Jermain Defoe to leave White Hart Lane, with Manchester United and Aston Villa linked with the 24-year-old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I'm not pleased at all. Up front is the one position we don't need any strengthening, we should be using that money for a left winger or centre mid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm happy enough, and will be delighted if we still do what's being rumoured and buy a decent left winger like Petrov and another midfielder. Plus Kaboul of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 browbrow

So looks like Bent is joining for 13Mil. Im not convinced, most spurs fans i talk too admit that Keane & Berbatov are our 1st choice Partnership, why spend 13 million on a player thats on a par with Defoe who is doing a good job of warming our bench already. :rolleyes:
    The money would be better spent on a left-winger as mentioned already here. 13 mill would tempt Gamst-pederson away from Blackburn. That would be a better deal!

Advertisement