Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It hits the fan [Transformers Animated]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Going for a stylised new look is all well and good... but this is just bad artwork.... the perspective and the angle of his body is all wrong.

I would have loved to see someone like Gendy Tartakovsky have a go at something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

As I said on the TFW2005 boards, its like prime has walked into a house of mirrors at a fun park. He seems extremely close to his G1 self though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Going for a stylised new look is all well and good... but this is just bad artwork.... the perspective and the angle of his body is all wrong.

I would have loved to see someone like Gendy Tartakovsky have a go at something like this.

it's the typical cartoon network style, which works well for weird kids cartoons and whatnot, but not transformers. there's already an established style that you shouldn't really toy with.

having said that, the storylines might be good, so the €3 per episode animation could end up being bearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭GWolf

Apparently it's gonna be ben 10/CN style villian of the week all interchangeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

arent we lucky that rozie got banned...it wont hit the fan for another two weeks.

• Advertisement

she got banned?

it's the typical cartoon network style, which works well for weird kids cartoons and whatnot, but not transformers. there's already an established style that you shouldn't really toy with.
    Well the stylised look works with Cartoon Network shows like The Clone Wars and Teen Titans... but as stylised as they are they still stick to not making the characters look like freakish controtionists.

And yes... Rozie, while not banned from Transformers, is currently site banned from boards.ie... see the feedback forum for more details.

I'm pretty sure Rozie would be mildly disappointed by this Optimus Prime design... But hey... at least it looks G1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Dominatorx

And yes... Rozie, while not banned from Transformers, is currently site banned from boards.ie... see the feedback forum for more details.

Not permanently i hope.
    And as for the new "design"
    eww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Belle Ende

GWolf wrote:
    http://seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=10778

you may want to sheild your eyes......and people complain about the movie

Atrocious style. Very cheap to animate, no doubt. It's all gone downmarket cheapo designs-all-over-the-shop Cartoon Network gubbins these days. Utter pish.

Maybe there are no talented Far Eastern cell animation houses left to outsource to any more?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Well the stylised look works with Cartoon Network shows like The Clone Wars and Teen Titans... but as stylised as they are they still stick to not making the characters look like freakish controtionists.

yeah, crap in other words! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Ger_Hankey

Well, its, erm.... hang on, I'm damned if i'm not going to think of something positive to say about this....

OK! Have it!! My sons like drawing transformers (the oldest one is six). If we're ever stuck for cash they can get a job with the animation company cause this stuff would be a piece of piss for them to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

On the plus side its being written in America so hopefully that means it might make a lick of sense and wont be re dubbed so EVERYONE sounds like Goku from Dragonball Z.

Ger_Hankey wrote:
    cause this stuff would be a piece of piss for them to do!!

it's supposed to be. the animators get a tiny budget to work on shows on CN, so they have to make do with simple designs so that they can throw out shows very quickly.

So, you thin it;s possible to turn that into a decent oty?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

you know what i love about this?

when it first broke within 24 hours there was 37 pages of hate thrown at it! been along time since something upset that many people that quicky :D

personally i think its crap but thats just my opinion. i never liked the teen titan/ batman beyond/ samuari jack type of style and if it died a death i wouldnt shed a tear. when you look at some of the breathtaking advances in animation this sort of stuff just makes you weep. it belongs in the past.

i know some will say the story might be decent but that would just compound the travasty. to have quality writing wasted on that! it'd be like animating target 2006 with stick figures :D

GWolf wrote:
    So, you thin it;s possible to turn that into a decent oty?

i'd imagine it'd be very difficult for the toys to transform with that kind of shape/style, so the toys would most likely be one-mode things. so in order to get prime both in bot mode and truck mode, you'll be paying twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

They're ruining my childhood memories :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

forgot to give my own comment on the series:

cartoon network and other animation studios associated (specifically all the ex warner brothers groups) approach to these sort of series has been more often *hit* then it has been *miss* thats with both its original material (Fosters home, Samurai Jack etc) and also with franchise material (Star wars clone wars teen titans and justice league unlimited [one of the greatest cartoons ever].)

So at first I would be very interested in this series.

BUT

Their track record put over a timeline does show a worrying trend, in that the *miss* products all came in the same timeline. I.E in the last 2 years. Between that looney toon superhero show (which isnt bad, just very very by the books and dull.) and the new superboy in the future one (which is simply bad) the track record has taken a landside into being crap.

I blame the fact that all the original and greats which made these series great have for the most part moved on (most sorely missed is Gendy Tartoskfy as Monkeyfudge pointed out but he is now working on feature films which can only be good stuff.) and that alot of the new talent havnt clicked that what made the originals great.

So until I find out who is writing/directing the new series I keep my opinion as undecided.

As long as its not that chimp who wrote Energon...

Here's more of the characters... I think this looks a little bit better and actually shows some promise.

trans.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I'm going to incur the wrath of (probably) every transformers fan, and say i kinda like it.
    it's not G1, but thats hardly the point.

As long as the stories behind them aren't as ass rupturingly awful as energon, then i'll be happy enough.

Ok, Ill give it that this picture is a definite improvement, but this cartoon will be made by the same people who did Teen Titans, am I right? I could be wrong, but just going from this picture Im getting a similar character vibe from them:

1. The serious red leader type one (Optimus/Robin)
    2. The Jokey kid one (Bumblebee/Beast Boy)
    3. The Big Blocky Strong One (Bulkhead/Cyborg)
    4. The Dark Broody One (Prowl/Raven)
    5. The Other One (Ratchet/Starfire)

Obviously its just a knee-jerk reaction to the pictures, but those similarities just scream out at me. Still its different to the A/E/C trilogy so thats no bad thing, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

whats the odds the toys will just be remodeled armada and cybertron toys? that prime alt mode looks very familiar.

still looks awfull to me so ill pass. word ive been hearing is the deceps may not even be in it , or have a very limited role, in leiu of human villains !

xanthor wrote:
    The fact that Prime looks like a combination of Star Convoy and Galaxy Convoy does make me think this toy line is going to be little more than a between movie filler, which makes me concerned that it will be a step backwards. Not just compared to the movie line, but compared to Cybertron, or maybe even Energon.

I don't know that its going to be a filler, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hasbros thinking was "well, we have the movie toy line with these super-realistic & complex robots, lets use the cartoon line to go to the other extreme". And judging by these designs, if they were to translate them into anythiing cartoon-accurate, we would be looking at something akin to Playschool Gobots, or even action masters....

Actually the style reminds me more of Ben 10 than Teen Titans.

Ben 10 had a very nice toy line too.

I can't see there being any great depth to the series though, each episode will be a stand alone and long gone are the days when we had intelligent characterisation and plots in the likes of Justice League.

Apparently (nearly) all the episodes will have self contained storylines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

There could be a bit of hope for the toys, good lord I hope the toys will be good

http://tv.ign.com/articles/799/799046p1.html

This pretty much confirms my fears re a Teen-Titans copy.. they even go as far as to say they are thinking of the Autobots as a Super-Hero group...

http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32619

things may not be as bad as they seem

• Advertisement

GWolf wrote:
    http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32619

things may not be as bad as they seem

I feel a lot better about things after reading that. Not necessarily about the cartoon, but definitely about where the toys are headed in the future. More Classics!! Hell yeah!!
    Its just a shame about not releasing more alternators (especially the Military ones they showed at Botcon), but I can see where they are coming from. There has been a lot of TF lines going on lately and they want to condense that down to one or two.

Advertisement