Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Greeting Question

• 20-06-2007 7:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭

Hi, I will be meeting a person of muslim faith soon and I would like to give her a greeting, How do I pronounce the greeting, do I put my left hand on chest or do I do that at all!? Sorry for posting such a basic question but I am interetsed and want to show I am respectful and have an awarness of other cultures. Thanks so much in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well, it depends on whether you believe you should at all.

Some believe that the assalamu alaykum greeting isn't appropriate to be used by Muslims to non-Muslims and non-Muslims to Muslims. On the flip side there are many out there who don't see it as an issue.

Such scenarios are rife for misunderstanding. While it's good you want to be respectful and aware, perhaps a good old fashioned "Hello" might be best until you know how she feels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Medina

I'd say go for it and say it to her...you're only saying peace be with you in arabic! Sometimes people in work say it to me I think its really cute and very considerate.

If she says Salam Alaykum first and you want to respond then say Walaykum Salam in response :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

If English isn't her first language you could always learn how to say hello in her native language. Just don't look on her as "muslim" that you have to worry about not offending, I'm sure that would bother her more than not saying hello in whatever language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

I did a quick search on the net to see if I could find something you could hear. The best I could for now was this (you can click on the red speaker):
    http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=salaam%20alaikum

It's not the best pronunciation in the world but it's okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

As Medina said, just say Salam Alaykum. It's pronounced sa-lam a-lay-come (the way I say it anyway!). You won't offend the person. I always say it if I am in a halal (Muslim) shop and the shop keeper always seems pleasently surprised to see a white Irishman saying it to him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Yeah, it's always really nice for a Muslim when someone says it and you don't expect it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Yes it certainly is, and of course the thing about translations of Arabic words into English alphabetical figures is that it is phonetic, just pronounce anything you want to say as it appears on the page!

As for what to do with your hands, OP, I must say I always find this slightly awkward when speaking to a non Muslim woman for the first time. Unfortunately sometimes women think you're just being rude, or that you think badly of them.

The hand on the chest idea is the best one I know though, because you can avoid shaking hands while still showing the other person respect.

Very considerate question by the way!

Advertisement