Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed line test but the funny thing is...

Options
  • 20-06-2007 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭

My mums house is beside my house and she has BB. I only got a new line put into my new house last week which is about 50m down the same road and on the same line, but eircom tell me i cant get BB cause it failed the line test.

There is noting the lady on the phone said i can do just check back in 4weeks time. We all know that its not going to be fixed and this could go on for years while all the old exiting houses around my house get and have BB.

She said i can always use 56k ( im so lucky )
    So what else can i do ?
    I got the phone line put in just so i could get BB.
    I guess wireless is the only option for me now that i can look into. I know i looked into this about 2 years ago but wireless was not in my area. Also wireless ping is not that great.

Anyways rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

You need to wait until the automated test is carried out. They are probably telling you that it fails now because there is no result yet. Test happen once a month supposedly so wait a few weeks and check again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Ok
    I guess i have no option but to give it time. If that is the case that my line might be working in a months time i be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,138 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ring again, ask for an engineer to do a line test. They told my brother his line failed aswell, even thou he had been an Eircom broadband customer for 3 years.

That's what your up against.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

Your pre-qual result can fail also if you have dodgy equipment or wiring in your home. If you have any doubts about any of your internal wiring or old phone sets, the best thing is to disconnect them now and use the main socket into the house only. As the other post said, you might have to wait for a few weeks for their pre-qual system to test your line again. You can check periodically yourself on the eircom web site (you can do this through any internet connection for example at work) by putting your phone number in and checking if your line passes.

I asked if i could get someone sent out to check my line and she said no. I think said i was talking to the Eircom man who put in my line and he was telling me that i should be ok for BB as my family home (Beside me) had it.

Im going to try out the house number of the next house down the street and see if they can get BB (just have to find there number first). If that is the case then it would mean my house in the middle is not showing up on there system yet.

• Advertisement

Ok just did a test on the house to the right of me and they CANT get BB. The house on the left of me can so i guess im just one house to far :(.

Tryed digiweb but they don't do my area.

So my last options are Sat BB
    or i could wait for O2 BB in mid july they are bringing it out.

All i want to be able to do is play WOW, do some downloading and also surf the net. I will have to give up all the FPS as ping will be shocking with the BB i can pick from.

I could always go ISDN but that is just so costly.

So what do people think ?
    O2 BB or Sat BB ? or is there anything else i could do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Darth Maul

Don't go down the Sat broadband route,
    Get the broadband into your mothers and set up a wireless link,

This is what I done, (her mothers is about half a mile away.)

I have a router in her attic with an external aerial (router running dd-wrt)
    Then in my house I have an external cantenna type antenna connected to a wireless bridge, which is then connected to a wireless router to beam around my house.

Hmm that is an option all right.
    I remember been on a web site that u put a wireless box on the chem and point it down to my place and i need to have one on my house.

If anyone knows what im on about could you maybe link me to a page that sell this equipment ?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Darth Maul

well if you are only 50m away then you could use standard equipment.

I would use a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 ( mothers house) (hp stands for high power)
    Linksys wet54g wireless bridge ( your side)
    then if you need wireless in your house a standard wireless router.
    for antenna for the bridge any external antenna with a rp-sma connection,
    I would say the stock antenna on the Buffalo router would work alright over this distance

Ebay link to router

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

BadCharlie wrote:
    or i could wait for O2 BB in mid july they are bringing it out.
    why not vodafone or 3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If the eircom man said that you should be okay for broadband, then you're most likely not pairgained unless he is utterly clueless or lying through his teeth.

And if broadband works fine in your parent's house across the road, there has to be something physically wrong with the line if it fails the test in a month's time.

IMO give it more time.

If the eircom man said that you should be okay for broadband, then you're most likely not pairgained unless he is utterly clueless or lying through his teeth.

And if broadband works fine in your parent's house across the road, there has to be something physically wrong with the line if it fails the test in a month's time.

IMO give it more time.

Yeah i will make my mind up in a months time.

Im a o2 customer so was going to wait for there product to come out before i decided. Also some people have said BB from 3 or vodafone is not good for gaming. But the only game that i will be playing is WoW. If 3, o2 or Voda are good enought for WoW then i might just get that as it will be simple. I know my mother was talking about getting rid of her phone all together so maybe getting BB from her place might not work out.

Will have to check out the exact distance from my house to my mums.

Thanks for all the imput so far people.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Narrowback

That's what I did when my line failed a couple of years ago. I was told no by the people in the Eircom office and through their web site, but their local technician thought it should be no problem.

I simply ordered broadband. I can't remember what the process was at that time, but the Eircom technician came and set it up and it's worked ever since. My line still fails the test on the Eircom web site.

I've had some periods when the signal seems to fade to the point that I lose broadband for short periods (maybe during high contention?), but even that hasn't happened in almost a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

I think Eircom are just trying to cover themselves here. they test your line to see if it meets the standard they've set. If it meets this standard then happy days.
    If it doesn't meet the standard then they wont give you BB. (It will more than likely work but they dont want the hassle of people calling them up saying they've poor signal strength and so on, you've got to remember they generate 99.99% of their revenue from business Lan lines so they're not exactly going to give a damn about trying to support someone that may give them hassle in the future for a measly €20 - €30 a month)

Reason for failing the test is either the distance from the nearest BB exchange (shouldn't be a problem for you as your neighbor has it) or dodgy wiring between the phone line outside to your phone inside.
    1 thing you can try is to disconnect all phone extensions you have in the house apart from 1. (if the phone line is coming into your attic, you should connect a phone directly to this incoming main line, dont have it going through any splitters or joint boxes. then test the line, this may do the trick) If this doesn't work your best hope is if you know anyone working for eircom as a line technician, if you do then they can sort it for you.

Advertisement