Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish address - sterling credit card account?

Options
  • 20-06-2007 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I do a hell of a lot of travelling to the UK (about 30 times a year) for football plus quite a few transaction in sterling for season tickets and the like.

Is it possible for me to get an account from an international bank like MBNA etc. that is in sterling?

I'd be paying a lump sum every couple of months to stay in credit, so would save on currency conversion. I'm expecting a few refunds to the card over the year as well, which I always lose money on.

Ta in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Hi,

I do a hell of a lot of travelling to the UK (about 30 times a year) for football plus quite a few transaction in sterling for season tickets and the like.

Is it possible for me to get an account from an international bank like MBNA etc. that is in sterling?

I'd be paying a lump sum every couple of months to stay in credit, so would save on currency conversion. I'm expecting a few refunds to the card over the year as well, which I always lose money on.

Ta in advance.

Ask AIB or BOI if they will open an account for you in NI or in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

I've got a UK and Irish Visa card with MBNA - both have internet access and the statements are sent to my Dublin home. . .No Problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

I've been trying to do that myself because like you reckless I'd end up going to all matches and to pay for a season ticket in one lump sum is like a kick in the nads. If you find out a way could you let me know how you get on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭MÓC

I've got a UK and Irish Visa card with MBNA - both have internet access and the statements are sent to my Dublin home. . .No Problem.

Do you have to pay the irish Government tax on your UK card ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

No. The card is issued in the UK thus not liable to tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭MÓC

If you can avoid paying the tax then why isn't everyone doing this.
    Sounds like a no brainer to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

M&#211 wrote: »
    If you can avoid paying the tax then why isn't everyone doing this.
    Sounds like a no brainer to me!!

Because you're € transactions will be converted to £stg for billing which means you'll lose on currency conversion, as you will when you pay the bill.

Advertisement