Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinds

Options
  • 20-06-2007 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

is it just me or is there anyone else out there that hates grinds. personally, i think that this grind culture that is being fostered in this country is only leading to an unequal society. one one hand you have people who can afford to pay for grinds and they are getting them in nearly every single subject(i know somebody who was) and then poorer students cannot afford them and grinds are almost expected nowadays. and then to make matters worse you have tutorial schools, internet sites selling notes, revision books, study skills courses. surely teachers should be able to do the job? what ever happened to free education? while i accept that grinds can help certain people in certain subjects, i think that grinds are way too widespread nowadays. does anyone agree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

go check out the thread on money = better education? . the subject has been discussed pretty comprehensively in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Who ever said life was fair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

I did maths grinds during the year for a couple of months. I just didn't really benefit all that much, so I stopped going. I did pretty well in my maths exam, but I don't think those grinds had much to do with it. Lots of people see them as the easy way out ... "oh sure feck it, I'll pay for the grinds and that'll sort it". You still have to do the work yourself at the end of the day.

It's also become some sort of hideous bastion of social status, kinda like kids with perfect teeth getting braces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AdamDee

In alot of schools nowadays, links have been set up to universtities and colleges with a grind programme, students are tutored in different subjects and I believe the fee's are relatively cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

IMO if you have a will to work the advice available to you online is as good as getting a grind.

As long as grinds are outside school hours I have no problem with them. I do have a bit of a problem with fee paying grind schools though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Chrissie

Back in the day (lol) when I sat my leaving cert, I spent 2 years dossing in OL Maths (after moving down from HL!!!!)

It didn't help that the teacher spent most of the time reading the newspaper & his feeling was if you didn't want to learn, don't.

I sat the mocks for OL & I got 17% I sh!t you not!!!

I knew I would fail the LC if I didn't get grinds. I also knew I had the ability if I just applied myself.

I think I got about 10 grinds lessons & I got a B1.

I went on to do 2 years of Maths in college & got A's in every exam I did there.

If it hadn't have been for grinds, I'd have been well & truly fcuked!!!

Could you not have just applied yourself in the class, done past papers and asked your teacher questions if you ran into difficulty?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

Is this going to turn into another 200 plus message thread in the space of a day like the last one??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Hmmm, this has kinda been discussed to the balls. Theres a 12 page thread on it somewhere.

Grinds are evidence of (i) The laziness of some students and (ii) the unequalness in our education system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

In one of my classes, 18 students were getting grinds on the subject!, We can blame this on the teachers lack of ''projecting'' his words of wisdom in class!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

Jay112 wrote:
    In one of my classes, 18 students were getting grinds on the subject!, We can blame this on the teachers lack of ''projecting'' his words of wisdom in class!
    Yes, everone has to agree that there is some awful teachers around and for the average student in difficult subjects like Higher maths and english they need grinds to get a decent grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

im an average student and should get a decent grade in english without having grinds and having an awful teacher.. research the topics, the syallabi are on the net so find out what you need to know and work at it yourself! save your money!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

fionated7 wrote:
    im an average student and should get a decent grade in english without having grinds and having an awful teacher.. research the topics, the syallabi are on the net so find out what you need to know and work at it yourself! save your money!!

Exact same with me, Also being told that she feels I AM going to fail a week before my exams didnt help my cause at all, so her attempt at motovation really knocked the confidence out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

cson wrote:
    Grinds are evidence of (i) The laziness of some students and (ii) the inequality in our education system

Fixed.

Advertisement