Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beautician Courses

Options
  • 20-06-2007 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi, i'm interested in becomming a Beautician and i was wondering if anyone had any recommendations with regards to courses (preferably in Dublin)?

I have done some research and the Beauty Therapy course in the Senior College Dunlaoighre is one that caught my attention. Does anyone know anything about that course in particular? I.e. is it fast/slow paced, are the tutors approachable, are topics well explianed and demonstrated or just skimmed over?

(I'd also appreciate info on other courses too)

Personal experiences or experiences of someone you know are more what I'm looking for rather than syllabus and course content coz I can obviously find that info myself :)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DangleDevil

Hi Sandie- B,

I am starting a course in Dun Laoghaire (Theatrical & Media Make up Artistry) in September, and as far as I know their Beauty Therarpy course is their most popular. My sister did the Beauty Thearpy course there too, about 7 years ago and now has her own salon - from what i remember the course was good however she did fail her first year, not because the course was bad or anything simply because she didn't put enough work in, so she started from scratch again at Galligans College in Dublin (quite expensive) and she did very well on that course.

I can't really tell you much about the actual course in Dun Laoghaire itself but the college seems professional. I had my induction day a couple of months ago and they explained everything. Teachers and heads seemed very nice and approchable (they even have counsellors on hand in case course gets too stressful - not sure what that said about the courses though!!! :confused: ) The course i'm doing is apparantly very fast paced but i'm not sure does that reflect on all their courses. Money wise i'm not sure about but for my course it works out at just under €2,000 (1 year course). Word of advice.....apply EARLY!!!! Around November this year for next years course......they get a huge number of applicants.

Galligans website is www.galligangroup.com......this is also a very good course from what i've heard, they have less students in the class so you get a bit more one on one attention.
    If you need to know anything else in more detail, I can ask my sister.

Good luck!!! :)

Jackie

PS. I hope you don't mind if I ask if anyone knows anything about the course i'm starting. (Theatrical & Media Make Up Course - Senior College Dun Laoghaire)

The make up we are using is Charles Fox - havent got the kit yet and don't know much about this make up if anyone could tell me anything about this make up that would be great as i couldn't find out much on the net?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Sandie-B

Thanks DangleDevil,

It sounds like it'll be a nice challenge!!

A neighbour of mine did the course you're doing and she really enjoyed it, especially the part where they had to completely change a models appearance (she brought her mum in and her mum was made up to look about 80 years old, great laugh but apparently quite scary how effectively someones appearance can be changed!!)

I hope you enjoy the course and I'll be sure to take your advice and apply early!:D

Advertisement