Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Darkness

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Yea im really enjoying it, I play multiplayer in between so I dont go through the game too fast. THe multiplayer is pretty good to me, I think its pretty fun and I find when Im playing with Irish guys only theres little or no lag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I love skewering people with the arm thing. It's so much fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Play-Asia just shipped my US/NTSC and region free copy.
    They only got The Darkness US/NTSC in stock since this morning.
    47 euro inc postage. Based on my order last week for another title
    and recent delivery times from Play-Asia I should hopefully have this
    for the weekend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I've been humming and hawing over this. A couple of the reviews have put me off to be honest, and the opinion of those on this thread (in the few responses I've read that I've felt don't spoil me) don't seem to be a-glowing.

I've got a couple old 360 games I can get rid of, and both XV and Gamestop are doing "trade in 2 games for 1 game" deals. I know XV have the Darkness in this offer, not sure about Gamestop. I guess for the price of 2 old games, it's worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Smyths have that offer too, trade in 2 games for 1 new game. One of the games I traded in was Table Tennis, I was surprised, they said that was fine (it's cheeeeap).

I totally think it's worth it, but some don't seem to agree. I haven't tried the multiplayer yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It's just €53 in Smyths with the loyalty card by the way.

I think it's worth getting... the game itself might be a bit average but the presentation is so lovely that it keeps you playing through... It will really show off what your 360 is capable of.

completed it. The ending is crap and the last level is too easy.

Must give it a bash on hard sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I found multiplayer to be extraordinarily laggy. Main game was great fun though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

completed it. The ending is crap and the last level is too easy.
    Completed it last night and was very happy with the ending. The only reason it was easy is to show just how powerful you become if you embrace The Darkness, and that was just for the last section. Think I'll start it again soon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Hmmm, thanks to everybody who suggested I get the US version instead of the Asian version.
    Looks like the release date of the Asian version has been pushed back to the end of the month, but the US version is currently on the way to me:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Just rented this a couple of days ago in xtravision. At first i thought it was good the execution moves are cool and the darkness powers are a neat addition to the fps genre.

However after playing it for a while its becoming really boring and linear. I have just returned to new york in the game and have checked in with the aunt and I cant go on theres no real point. Unless your a fan of the comic book (you can do side missions for extra content) or you are immersed in the plot (which I am not) its a really bog standard game. I got tired of the lacklustre AI after 20 mins and your practically invulnerable unless your playing on the hardest level.

One good point is the amount of achievements that you'll earn just by playing the single player game alone.

Glad I rented it because I would have been pissed if I had spent 60 yoyos on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Played a bit more of it and it just isn't doing anything for me. Sure the presentation and acting are great but the main problem is the gameplay. The AI is absolutely abysmal for both enemies and your useless darklings. Weapons aren't fun to use are there is a severe lack of ammo. Also the darkness powers are really under developed and a pain to use, such as the annoying to control creeping dark. I'm beginning to regret getting this game instead of Overlord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Have overlord at home with the wrapper still on..is it good?dont wna play it till i finish the darkness!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,628 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Played a bit more of it and it just isn't doing anything for me. Sure the presentation and acting are great but the main problem is the gameplay.

Have to go along with you on this Retro,
    a decidely mediocre game and certainly not worthy of purchase, which is a real shame as I really enjoyed Starbreeze's Riddick at the time, but this game just isn't doing it for me at all......very overrated IMO..
    After a bright start and intro, it descends into a by-the numbers FPS which is extremely hampered with poor AI, poor weapon selection, generic characters and, above all, tiresome gameplay which is becoming all to common with recent shooters (although I hope Crysis on PC can pull us back from the brink !)..
    Graphics are decent but nothing paticularly ground-breaking either, with some very poor texture usage in parts and some suspect character design. Generic level design doesn't help it along either..

While I'm sure there may be some comic fans out there who can identify with the game and story, I personally found it distant and uninteresting........all of which you can overlook to some degree if the game is at least fun to play, but IMO that is not the case..

Ah well..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I can agree with all the basic criticisms of the game - poor enemy and darkling AI, lack of ammo making guns useless, the creeping dark getting stuck on every little thing on the floor, etc etc.

I can agree with all that, and yet this is still to me one of the best games I've played on the 360, and I had no experience of the comic to date. The atmosphere and story just had me caught from the very beginning, so much so that I can easily overlook the problems the game has. I love the story, and the characters are excellent, with fantastic voice acting helped by a very good script. I love the little touches they put into it to develop empathy -
    like the childhood flashbacks in the orphanage, or like when after Jenny is murdered, if you go back to her apartment building, you can ring the doorbell and stare at the door and hear her voice repeating what she said when you first called to her, and then the Darkness laughs
    - brilliant

8/10 - would be 9/10 with better AI

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ok finished it last night and very much enjoyed it.
    + points:
    1. Terrific city environment. Felt real and interesting, with lots of wonderful touches (TV for example).
    2. Graphics: amongst the finest on 360. Perhaps 2nd only to Gears.
    3. The Darkness powers: felt truly powerful. Some say they felt tacked on, to me they just did something unique and different with a standard genre. By the time the final couple of battles came along, you really did feel like a monster.
    4. The story: typical revenge story, but implemented well. Very good ending (
    ie Jenny and Jackie on the bench
    ) in particular, I thought - ambigous, understated, subtle.
    5. Set pieces: loads of great moments throughout, from the opening tunnel sequence to the
    shoot out at your aunts

1. Darkling AI - useless up until the very end when
    they seemed to summon spontaneosuly. Even then they seemed to explode randomly
    . Now they seemed a bit tacked on.
    2. Technical issues - one or two of these. For example, strange ladder animations during the last hour of gameplay, and a mission I couldnt complete because I couldnt find the enemy in question. Not game ruining, but dont know how they slipped past QA.

Overall, Id say 8/10 - a great experience overall, and probably the strongest FPS on 360.

a mission I couldnt complete because I couldnt find the enemy in question. .

Out of curiosity - what mission was that?

Im willing to bet the mission was the guy from Chicago watching Shrote. Was it? He's hard to find but he is there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Im willing to bet the mission was the guy from Chicago watching Shrote. Was it? He's hard to find but he is there.

Thats the one. I was looking around all over the place and used the Creeping Dark to check out the rooftops, and couldnt come across him. It is true that I may not have been looking hard enough at the time...

I found him eventually but couldn't do anything to him... it looked like he was already dead sitting in his chair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I found him eventually but couldn't do anything to him... it looked like he was already dead sitting in his chair.
    He's just asleep, you can kill him with the creeping dark.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    He's just asleep, you can kill him with the creeping dark.
    I really couldn't seem to do a thing to him... I creeped all over that room and all over his body and the only thing I could was change the TV stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Finished it last night.I really enjoyed it and the last part was excellent i didnt mind not being able to controll parts of it cus the athmosphere and story wer top notch!!If only all licenced games and movie tie ins were handled so well!

I really couldn't seem to do a thing to him... I creeped all over that room and all over his body and the only thing I could was change the TV stations.

I guessed this would be the mission too. Took me ages to find the guy, but once I did there wasn't any problems. I came at his chair from behind and just attacked with the creeping dark and it worked fine. Odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'm only a little bit into the game so far, but the first hour of gameplay alone has been worth the price tag. Fantastic stuff!

Advertisement