Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSD has Mange i think

Options
  • 20-06-2007 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, my GSD i think has mange i have notice for a while that his hair on his bell and front legs has been thinning but i was brushing him yesterday and its even worse that i thought. I have read that sometimes it can just go away by itself. He was a bit skinny for a while due to a different illness and i know that this could have weekend his immune system and once his immune system is back to full strength it can fight off the bug thats causing the mange.
    He is now putting back on some weight and start to get back to himself.

Would it be better to bring him to the vet or leave it a bit longer?
    I only ask ask as that going to the vet is a traumatic event for him as he was quite sick when he was younger so i usually have to lift him form the car into the surgery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

anyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

how about getting the vet to call to your house to lessen the trauma for your dog? I'm not certain but Mange is normally caused by mites then illness. hopefully he'll get well soon, keep us updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Mange (both Sarcoptic and Demodectic) has a very strong smell, one that you are unlikely to forget once you have smelt it. Mange is often very itchy and accompanied by secondary skin infection. As your dog has been ill and the hair is thinning, I would suggest you have a blood test done to rule out thyroid problems.

Yep, he does smell quite bad, bringing to the vet on monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭colmranger

My dog had a bad mange problem for years that kept coming back every year.

It was costing me a fortune on vet bills and the vet said the dog would never be cured fully and the only thing to do was to keep coming back every 6 months or so.

One day i told my local chemist owner of the problem and he made up a potion that only cost €4 and guess what?

The dog was completely cured and never looked back since :D

• Advertisement

Things are looking up for my GSD, he looks a lot happier now, hair is starting to grow back on his belly and legs he's nto scratching anymore, and most importantly he has stopped smelling so my GF will let him wander about the house freely!!!
    Back to the vet for a checkup on monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

Great to hear he is on the mend! Hope his check up goes well monday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its pretty easy to prevent and treat mange with spot on worming treatments like advantage and stronghold... And medicated shampoos that you can get from a vets.

And it really does stink

Advertisement