Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wall repair after tiling

Options
  • 20-06-2007 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I am in the middle of installing a new kitchen that i have built. Our house is about 30 years old and i have just removed the exisiting tiles from the wall. This left a mess - bumps and hollows where existing plaster came off (in clumps) and where the tile-cement stayed on the wall. What should i do with the walls to clean them up? Parts of the damaged walls will be re-tiles but i assume the new tiles will need a flat sustrate? Other parts will be painted only, so the wall needs to be clean. The areas damages are not huge, so i couldn't justify paying a plaster to come in and charge me 200 quid for an hours work. Any ideas anyone?

Cheers,

Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

What about that polycell stuff?

http://www.polycell.co.uk/ Look at bottom left hand corner for the TV add.

I used it to prepare most of my mams kitchen for tiling and it did wonders. The tiler even said it was a good job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Prob no help, but were are getting our kitchen walls re-tile and same happened to us taking off the old tiles. We had a layer of tiles, then plaster, then wallpaper then another set of tiles! Big mess taking it all off. The tiler insisted we get the wall plastered before he could do the job.

The plasterer came and roughly bonded the whole wall - rather than skim. Seems to be working ok - tiler is tiling kitchen as we speak

Advertisement