Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabeties - Type 2 - Real peoples advice!

Options
  • 20-06-2007 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Not looking for medical advice but menu advice!

My dads been diagnosed with the above about 2 or 3 weeks ago- his sugar levels were in their 20's, they think he may have had it a while. Hes got it down to between 5 + 7 but hes living on potatoes and boiled chicken!!

While he understands its was probably his poor diet (chips + chocolate) over the last 30 yrs that contributed to the diabeties and he has got to change his eating habits- he genuinely (like myself)does not like vegetables pasta etc.

We've read all the leaflets and done some research via the internet etc but some of the advice is conflicting regarding what he can eat.

I suggested popcorn or low fat, low sugar, low salt products rather than not eating anything at all, but i would hate to be responsible for his blood sugars rising.

How did you guys adjust your menu when you were diagnosed. Was it difficult etc?

As a matter of fact he is the 3rd person in the extended family diagnosed with it in the space of 3 weeks!

Also the diabetic foundation are looking for 22.50 + postage for a pair of special socks! He is partly disabled so these would be beneficial but at that price it would cost 150 euro plus to buy a pair for each day of the week, can these be bought cheaper?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS hes on tablets for it.

Advertisement