Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

restaurant where you cook your own food?

• 20-06-2007 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hi, heard of this idea recently and someone suggested that there are some restaurants in dublin that do this although they didn't know the names of any- anyone know of any? Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

sounds bloody stupid if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭bullpost

Theres a place near bakers corner in Dun Laoghaire which might do this. I've seen it advertised and it had me scratching my head. I thought that what they did was sell you the ingredients for specific dishes (e.g. Chicken Korma for 8 people) as a complete package, but maybe they do allow you to cook it? I'm confused even more now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

http://www.biaduit.ie/how_it_works.html

seems a daft idea to me....why not just bloody make it at home yourself ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

lol - i thought it sounded like fun!! Its sorta like a cookery course for one dish I think but its held in a restaurant. So they would show you how to cook a dish that is special to the restaurant...maybe they imagined it!! When I start writing it down it sounds sort of silly - it sounded alot more plausible when they mentioned it :o

I thought it might be a fun idea for a date - maybe not going by the reaction here!!!!!!!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

boffin wrote:
    I thought it might be a fun idea for a date - :p

you know what....I never thought of that, it would actually make a great idea for a date. I work near the place and it's not set up like a restaurant, they have normal ovens and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭2rs

I have eaten in these types of restaurants abroad and they are great fun. It is similar to the Japanese Teppanyaki restaurants where the chef cooks the food in front of you, and about 10 people sit around the cooking surface and eat as the cooking is going on.

See if you can find any Japanese or Korean restaurants around town and ask them. Chai-Yo on Baggot Street is a good teppanyaki restaurant but I am not sure if they cater for customers cooking themselves.

I think what you are looking for is a Korean BBQ restaurant where you have a grill in the middle of your table and a buffet of veg and raw meats which you cook at your own table to your own liking.

Great fun, let us know if you do find a Korean BBQ restaurant around town

Thanks guys for all you help!! 2rs great suggestion with the korean bbq! Found one using menu pages on parnell street and its has good reviews...Han Yang Korean BBQ Restaurant

Its a bit out of the way for me but hopefully I will give it a try over the next few weeks...i'll let you know how I get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Is the Mongolian Barbeque place still there in Temple Bar ?

Basically all the raw food is laid out buffet style , you queue stick it in a bowl, queue , give it to a guy on a huge griddle , wait , then eat.. then go back to stage one ...

Went to one in England a few times , in the end stopped going because we realised we were spending the whole evening queuing / waiting , and not chatting having a good time like we wanted !

However the upside ..you can choose EXACTLY what you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I read the title of this and immediately thought....

fondue!

• Advertisement

From the description there is a little bbq in the middle of the table which you cook your food on!! So no queuing etc!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I've never been to that Korean BBQ in town, but I have been to a few - and they're good craic.
    I wonder do any places in town do a fondue Bourguignonne or the one where you cook on the stone?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

There's a Korean place on Capel Street (can't recall the name) where they supply you with the raw ingredients and you cook it yourself in the steaming pot in the middle of the table (there's a special recess for it). Seem to recall it's quite cheap too.

However, this thread just reminded me of Kramer's pizza parlour concept in 'Seinfeld'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

In a buffet in china you could pick very thinly marinated meats and it was cooked in front of you in seconds, kept going back up, was lovely since it was so tender being so thin and cooked seconds ago. I heard of another place where you first went through a sort of market and picked out chickens and veg at stalls, sort of like a food court of food shops and resturaunts.

First you pick your resturaunt, then the chef or assistant went along with you picking out all your ingredients and then cook it.

I was in another place that had aquariums all over the walls as you walked in, you went in and picked what fish you wanted and they scooped it out in a net!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Wasn't there a place on Wexford Street where you had to make your own sandwiches? I went in one day and I was disgusted. Sure I do that at home every day. It's closed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭barfizz

Hi Bruce, You are missing the point, The idea is to help families (like us) that are too busy to make healthy evening meals every night, Me and my wife are both working and we two kids, between one thing and another we are too busy during the week to go down to the shop, buy all the ingredients, chop and prepare all the veg, meat, herbs, etc,

Yeah! i buy a load at the weekend but we are too busy to make a decent meal every nigh during the week and we had a tendency to rely on ready meals, in this place you go there and it is all done for you, i picked up three meals last week for my family and it took us about 15 mins there and then we just used them during the week when we are too busy to mess up the kitchen and clean up after.

The meals are great and I know i'm not feeding the kids precooked sugar and salt infested c*&p...

Advertisement