Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones Parking plan

Options
  • 20-06-2007 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭

the council is proposing to introduce pay parking in Greystones - the plans are available here: http://www.wicklow.ie/bulletin%20board/greyParking.html

if you want to make a submission you have until the 6th of July.

My first objection to the plan would be that they want to charge for Saturday parking, and also that for some reason the scheme runs all the way down to the Harbour (who parks at the harbour to use the DART??)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

My question is where is all this money going to go to??? Have we a right as tax payers and as people of the community to find out what will be done with all this money and will it go to good use to upgrade the paths of the town, maybe more floral diplays approaching and leaving the town ....what is done with all this extra cash they are going to get, thats what I would like to know??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i think the general idea is that the fees pay for the enforcement, but these things usually end up as an extra cash-cow for the council.

the fees should be enough to cover the costs and no more, and they should only be applied where and when strictly necessary. If their stated aim is to move all day parking to the park-and-ride, why are they enforcing this on Saturdays when the number of commuters is vastly reduced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

I would also support free parking on Saturdays. We should attract residents into the town centre as much as possible on weekends when most residents are actually in greystones.

I think the hours of operation should also be only until 1800. People drive down in the evenings and use the South Beach car park to use the playgound and to access the sea front for walks and such.

Other than that I think its a good plan. Extra revenue is obviously needed. There are only two full time town cleaners. Extra are obviously required for this and for general upkeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

This is just another bad joke. Hell, right now we're driving to Bray to get the DART because car windows get smashed in the Park-n-ride and there's no security there. And now they want us to pay to park in a place like that? Pah.

Sparks wrote:
    This is just another bad joke. Hell, right now we're driving to Bray to get the DART because car windows get smashed in the Park-n-ride and there's no security there. And now they want us to pay to park in a place like that? Pah.

no they don't - the P&R will still be free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dubrunner

Just walk down, it's the summer time!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,858 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I would also support free parking on Saturdays. We should attract residents into the town centre as much as possible on weekends when most residents are actually in greystones.

I think the hours of operation should also be only until 1800. People drive down in the evenings and use the South Beach car park to use the playgound and to access the sea front for walks and such.

Other than that I think its a good plan. Extra revenue is obviously needed. There are only two full time town cleaners. Extra are obviously required for this and for general upkeep.
    i would advocate free parking on saturdays, but i'd be wanting some traffic wardens patroling the place slapping tickets on the people who park on the double yellows on the main street, can be a pain in the arse to get through the town at times because of people parking where the are not supposed to.

there's already plenty of parking restrictions in Greystones - 2 hour limits on the main street, no parking between 9am and 10am on weekdays, double-yellow lines etc.

but there's no traffic warden so enforcement is practically non-existent. I'm sure the council will argue that they can't afford to employ a traffic warden without introducing pay-parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,858 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

loyatemu wrote:
    there's already plenty of parking restrictions in Greystones - 2 hour limits on the main street, no parking between 9am and 10am on weekdays, double-yellow lines etc.

but there's no traffic warden so enforcement is practically non-existent. I'm sure the council will argue that they can't afford to employ a traffic warden without introducing pay-parking.
    The amount of money they would make off fines would cover them imo - the amount of illegal parking in greystones, especially the main street is a joke. The people who dump their car to run in to a shop really get on my nerves, given the first hour in the meridian is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Believe me there is a traffic warden,I work for the council and have had my share of tickets as well as the other staff I work with.:(
    Even on saturdays. A lot of people were parking their cars and going to work
    and returning in the evening, this went on for a few days until I saw the traffic warden taking photos of cars 2 in particular,as they were taking up 2 spaces
    rather than 1.So he is around maybe not everyday but he does make an appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Bettyboop wrote: »
    Believe me there is a traffic warden,I work for the council and have had my share of tickets as well as the other staff I work with.:(
    Even on saturdays. A lot of people were parking their cars and going to work
    and returning in the evening, this went on for a few days until I saw the traffic warden taking photos of cars 2 in particular,as they were taking up 2 spaces
    rather than 1.So he is around maybe not everyday but he does make an appearance.

He must be gone now. A nice way to pave the way for pay and display.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

ian_m wrote: »
    He must be gone now.

I saw a (female) warden giving out tickets on the main street the week before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cooper90

got a fine on saturday when i ran in to the shop to get chenge, was less then 10 mins, i know for a fact! dose any one know how to apeal a fine as i feel there is a 10 munite window!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

loyatemu wrote: »
    t there's no traffic warden so enforcement is practically non-existent. I'm sure the council will argue that they can't afford to employ a traffic warden without introducing pay-parking.

Ooh no mate they're there. Sitting at the rank for many an hour ive seen them back and forth everyday. They're actually quite nice and do give people time to come back before doing them. Saw a woman a while back parking her huge 4x4 outside Eugene's (before bus stop was moved there). He noted it and came back and gave her a ticket. When she came back she started yelling at him. I was thinking, its clearly says no parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

if you park in a loading bay or taxi rank i think they can issue ticket immediately, but if it is in a parking spot without a valid ticket i think they make a note of it and come back after 10 or so minutes. I spoke to the male warden and he pretty much told me the above. But maybe if they're in a bad mood, they're not so generous. He didn't tell me that.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Ooh no mate they're there. Sitting at the rank for many an hour ive seen them back and forth everyday. They're actually quite nice and do give people time to come back before doing them. Saw a woman a while back parking her huge 4x4 outside Eugene's (before bus stop was moved there). He noted it and came back and gave her a ticket. When she came back she started yelling at him. I was thinking, its clearly says no parking.

Check the date on the post you replied to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

drag0n79 wrote: »
    Check the date on the post you replied to :D

Haha thats weird. It said it was a new post?

I see now... two parking threads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Haggis The Dog

was on the main street saturday and saw the warden sitting next to the no loading bay outside of hungry monk/chinese...was about 3-4 cars parked in loading bay, the warden waited about 5-10mins before issuing tickets...got no sympathy for them. Theres free parking at P&R or a proper car park at merdian not to mention street parking. no excuse for it, meridian is even post pay so having no change is not an excuse either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Think we will just keep the new parking thread open as two will just get confusing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement