Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tips for rehoming

Options
  • 20-06-2007 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi everyone,

We're looking at rehoming our 2 year old dog shortly. We were considering doing it gradually so that it would be less traumatising on the dog (and us). We were thinking maybe calling to the new home for half an hour or so and bringing the dog back home, then calling again the next day and leaving the dog. What do you think, we want to make this as easy as possible for her.

Thanks

MIlly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Erm, thats not gradually. Gradually would mean introducing the dog over a period of weeks, possibly months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Milly1234

thanks for your helpful advice !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I honestly don't think dropping the dog off for a day would make a difference, although correct me if I'm wrong. You should definitely bring his/her dog bed and bedding so he feels more at home, and his toys also.

I really don't know how traumatising this sort of thing is on a dog to be honest, he is going to be pining for a while regardless, but i don't know if cutting all ties or making a gradual departure is the most fair thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

When I rehome a dog I always tell the adopters that it takes at least 6 weeks until the dog has settled in. Gradually in this case would mean, you have the peeps over, you go over there, take the dog for a walk together and gradually withdraw from the dog on walks etc pp. It is never easy for a dog to adjust to new surrounding, especially if you have had her from a pup.

Advertisement