Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Do I need 2 HDMI ports?

• 20-06-2007 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭

Unfortunately I'm not a tech whiz so please be gentle if this is non-sensical or close thereto.

Want to get myself an LCD 32" or 37" LCD or Plasma.
    I have a HD DVD recorder and I would also like occasionally to hook up the Laptop.

Will I need or should I get something with 2 HDMI connections?

Thanks

not very techy minded Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Does the laptop have a DVI output if no then you cant use the HDMI link as it is digital only.

Many HDTV's these days come with a VGA or DVI input for computers so check the TV to see if it has one of those and you can use that to connect the laptop.

The most common devices that use HDMI are DVD players and game consoles (PS3, Xbox 360 Elite) if you have plans on using both of those then it might be worth getting a set with dual HDMI ports though the game consoles work just as well in HD for the most part when using the component inputs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Daith

Are you planning to get Sky HD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

Daith wrote:
    Are you planning to get Sky HD?

Well I've NTL standard at the moment and wasn't planning on upgrading unless it was going to add incredibly to the quality of viewing.

Brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

badbrian wrote:
    Well I've NTL standard at the moment and wasn't planning on upgrading unless it was going to add incredibly to the quality of viewing.

Brian

Plasma and LCD really need a digital signal to perform at their best.... Sky is better than NTL but standard analogue won't look good on a digital TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

Ok. Thanks for the help. I can upgrade to NTL digital easy enough. I had a look at Sky HD and it suggested an installation fee of €449:eek: .
    My da has the NTL digital and a big plasma. Looks just like what I want so will go that route.
    Thanks again.
    Brian

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

badbrian wrote:
    Ok. Thanks for the help. I can upgrade to NTL digital easy enough. I had a look at Sky HD and it suggested an installation fee of €449:eek: .
    My da has the NTL digital and a big plasma. Looks just like what I want so will go that route.
    Thanks again.
    Brian

Careful here.. An NTL digital set top box doesn't actually output a digital signal. As far as I know, the current crop of NTL STB's will give you RGB or Composite out via SCART. In essence, it will be an analogue signal going to your TV.

If you are going to spend megabucks on a good HD-TV, you should be looking to feed it HD pictures preferably over a digital (HDMI/DVI) connection on a regular basis to get your money's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

You'd want to get a set with 2 hdmi as minimum, all the newer sets will have them as standard, also make sure it has a PC VGA or DVI connection on it as well if you can. My set has 2 HDMI's and are both in use, one for upscaling DVD player and one for PS3.

Snake ;)

Advertisement