Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sig Rules

Options
  • 20-06-2007 1:09pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just had my sig removed.

Have no idea why.

The picture was the right size.

2 Lines of text.

Tried following www.boards.ie/sigrules but doesnt work (but persumably it links to here?)

The link should be updated so people know what they are looking for.

It also might be no harm to pm people as to why there sig was removed.

Checked the sticky above and I'm not in it
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Them sig police nazis ....

¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The idea used to be that you were sent a PM and given 48 hours to modify your sig, unless it was something really offensive. While I was doing SIGPO I noticed that a lot of people were simply reporting sigs and not bothering with the PM. A bit unfair IMO. At least let people have a chance to modify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What was the signature?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

r3nu4l wrote:
    The idea used to be that you were sent a PM and given 48 hours to modify your sig, unless it was something really offensive. While I was doing SIGPO I noticed that a lot of people were simply reporting sigs and not bothering with the PM. A bit unfair IMO. At least let people have a chance to modify it.

If people dont know what the mistake is they are gona make it again. A PM would have been nice.

If I was in the wrong and asked to change it there would have been no problem there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

An image of from The Wire TV show with some one looking out a car window.

>>The Wire<< linking to the forum request
    A link to a laptop I have for sale

But I got the image from the HBO website. This is the first place I came across it

• Advertisement

FOund out why it was removed.

From post 1964

The rules state

All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, and you can't have both text and images.

* For text signatures: 4 lines normal size OR 8 lines small size, and up to 90 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. Do not use the [.quote]
    tags.
    * For images in signatures: 1 image up to 300 pixels wide, 125 pixels tall and 20k in size. No animated images are allowed.

[/QUOTE]

Seems like the old dyslexia caught up on me again. I read it as can. Has it changed recently?

Even people who a reporting in the sig police thread have images and text

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

So it was under 300x125 and 20k?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

He said he knows what the problem was.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Yeah I see that put when I posted his last post wasn't showing up ... understandable no?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hmm.

I like the sigpo message in mine.

Who do them damn Nazi's think they are anyway.

I've been posting in the mod forum for months, all over soccer, AH and feedback and nothing about it.

:confused:

6th wrote:
    So it was under 300x125 and 20k?

The image was the allowed size.

2 line of normal text with a space between them and all centered.

Will try and do a mock up later and post it back here.

This is the sig that was removed

[center][URL=http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055069225][IMG]http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6901/thewireum3.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL="http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055069225"]>>>The Wire<<<[/URL]

[URL="http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=25350"]For Sale: Dell Inspiron 9300 [/URL][/center]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The centring is incredibly annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

A lot of people aren't aware of the centre-justified rule. I know I was oblivious to it for a long time until someone pointed it out to me.

I never could find reference to where it was, in the rules that is, but took it on good faith from the person who told me.

A lot of people aren't aware of the centre-justified rule. I know I was oblivious to it for a long time until someone pointed it out to me.

I never could find reference to where it was, in the rules that is, but took it on good faith from the person who told me.

I looked for this rule and couldnt find it.

If its in the rules fair enough. I've no problem changing.

But if it was removed because it was "annoying" then I do have a problem with it.

Just for the record I like it centered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I have never heard of this center justified rule. o_O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Shabadu wrote:
    I have never heard of this center justified rule. o_O

Heh, just like Roundy, does it matter? You're breaking other ones! :)

OP, Left justify and remove your text. Then you should be legitimate.

Or try just left justifying and removing the carriage returns between text lines so people aren't drawn to your infractions, that's what the mods/admins do :).

The "rules" are more like guidelines anyway... (Yar)

Heh, just like Roundy, does it matter? You're breaking other ones! :)

OP, Left justify and remove your text. Then you should be legitimate.

Or try just left justifying and removing the carriage returns between text lines so people aren't drawn to your infractions, that's what the mods/admins do :).

The "rules" are more like guidelines anyway... (Yar)

Not justifying it but I'm not the only one. Alot of people seem to be doing.

There is two people in this thread doing it and one being a former cop

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Yonks ago, someone removed my sig. Cloud pm'd me asking me to put it back up to illustrate what sort of leeway people have. As far as i remember, he said a few lines of text and a picture that was only a couple of pixels over was no big deal. Maybe times have changed though. *shrug*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The reference forbidding centred sigs may be found here under SYS > Newbies & FAQ > Signature Rules as per Cloud.

It may have been me who mentioned this to RoundyMooney at some stage. AFAIK it is still in effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Here you go:
    Sig Rules wrote:
    [Addition 09.02.07 - just to confirm that referral links are not allowed due to additional forum spam]. Centred, glowing, blinking ads will be deleted without notice. You have been warned.

OP, if you removed the spaecs between the links, and left justified, I'd say you'll be fine.

The sig rules are a bit of a joke though, some of Cloud's post applies, some does not- how is ANYONE supposed to know unles they keep a regular eye on the Sig Rules thread, or trawl back through and see which rules they decided not to use anymore (neither a reasonable expectation). And, just to add to the confusion, the link used when people's sig is removed doesn't exist.

kearnsr wrote:
    Not justifying it but I'm not the only one. Alot of people seem to be doing.

There is two people in this thread doing it and one being a former cop

jus·ti·fy [juhs-tuh-fahy]

4. Printing. a. to make (a line of type) a desired length by spacing the words and letters, esp. so that full lines in a column have even margins both on the left and on the right.
    b. to level and square (a strike).

:D

In this case, your signature's text should align to the left of the page, just like this sentence does.
    Shabadu wrote:
    Cloud pm'd me asking me to put it back up to illustrate what sort of leeway people have. As far as i remember, he said a few lines of text and a picture that was only a couple of pixels over was no big deal.

Maybe the rules should be changed to clarify this, as sigs are removed for smaller breaches than your own or others. I agree that images plus text should be allowed (or the line stating that it isn't should be removed!).

Whats the difference between havining to the left, to the right or centered?

Just looking at Shabadu post and to me its fine. A bit more to the right than my one but i see no harm in that

kearnsr wrote:
    Just looking at Shabadu post and to me its fine. A bit more to the right than my one but i see no harm in that

That's my point though. The "rules" apply to some, and not to others ( and no, that is not a mod conspiracy dig ) and you're just unlucky to have been "got". If you make it left justified, and remove the carriage returns it won't be as immediately noticeable to people and so you will probably "get away" with it, that's all I'm trying to say.

I'm assuming you want it centered an spaced to draw more attention to it? Well, you're succeeding...

That's my point though. The "rules" apply to some, and not to others ( and no, that is not a mod conspiracy dig ) and you're just unlucky to have been "got". If you make it left justified, and remove the carriage returns it won't be as immediately noticeable to people and so you will probably "get away" with it, that's all I'm trying to say.

I'm assuming you want it centered an spaced to draw more attention to it? Well, you're succeeding...

I just prefer it centered. I think it looks better.

I dont see why it matters which way it is set up as long as size wise its ok.

kearnsr wrote:
    I dont see why it matters which way it is set up as long as size wise its ok.

Nor do I, but I don't make the rules.

Also, strictly speaking, it wasn't OK size wise as you had pic+text; but then you can argue that that particular rule is hardly enforced...

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I must say this is the strangest fight tha powah cause I've seen in a while, kearnsr. It's simple enough: you didn't just break one rule, you broke a few. Now, I know that there's a certain amount of leeway in the rules, but generally if you break a few, you will find your sig removed.

I tend to be less lenient where a sig's overall height (including pics, text and line breaks) is over about 200px. I'm more lenient on sigs that are a bit wide, because they don't break threads up as much.

I do, however, agree that the rules are a shambles at the moment and can only try to reassure that we're working behind the scenes on something that will make a hell of a lot more sense. Unfortunately, it takes time, because not everyone (admins, mods, users) can fully agree on what the best policy is.

As for the comment about some users getting away with breaking sig rules - that is simply untrue. I don't go around spotting sigs that are against the rules and then deleting them. I don't know if anyone does. All I do is delete sigs that are reported in the sigpo thread if I think they are disruptive. I think that's about the 10th time I've said that now. If other users seem to be getting away with it, it's because no one has reported their sig.

I've also said on countless occasions that people are supposed to receive PMs when their sig is reported. Unfortunately, people who report sigs seem to think that posting "not notified" is an acceptable way to avoid this. We don't have the time to sift through and find out exactly which users have been PM'd and which haven't - so generally, sigs just get deleted once reported.

If there's anything else, I'm happy to explain what I can - but please bear in mind that deleting sigs is one of the most tedious things in the world, and no one is doing it for the kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I had a sig removed because it was 35K, thems the rules and I accept that, but ffs like. Made no difference to me to change it from transparent to black background, but I who did it help? It's good there are Sig rules, and it's good they are enforced, as about 90% of reported sigs are ridiculus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I don't go around spotting sigs that are against the rules and then deleting them. I don't know if anyone does. All I do is delete sigs that are reported in the sigpo thread if I think they are disruptive.

If I see a sig that's way over the size limit or animated I'll most likely kill it without any PM to the user.

Advertisement