Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

harmony question music

Options
  • 20-06-2007 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

okay i know the exam is tomorrow and that its my own fault for being unprepared but could any one give a quick run down on Q5????? its the only part of the exam that im not on top of.. only got 46 outta 60 in this question in the mock!!

any help would be great!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

god forbid, 46/60...

know your good progressions

when you're figuring out what chord to use, take the notes on the strong beats ie 1 and 3 rather than 2 and 4, short notes dont matter

you can double the third in minor chords

use V7 wherever you can, they're mad for that

dont use vi b

avoid parallel 5ths/octaves

if in doubt about an extra note, leave it out

try and have as many notes of the triad sound in its bar as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

okay might sound daft here but when do i know to use the V7?

and what exactly are they looking for to get the full marks going for the quality of the bass line?

anywhere you'd use V

and thats only 5 marks of 60, just make sure it isnt syncopated and follows on fromw hat youre given and youll be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sxcbbz

i dint do music soz hunis!!!

XxXxXxMwAhXxXxXxLoVsYaXxXxXxBeXyXxXxXx

okay thanks for your help, been doing lots of them all morning so hopefully it will go well tomorrow.

sorry to be annoying but if the question is in a minor key ii is diminished and III is augmented yeah?

• Advertisement

yeah that makes sense because ii is vii in the major key and the fifth of III is the sharpened seventh

thanks, im hoping tomorrows paper will be nice.. being a little more confident with question 5 might help. a student friendly paper would be a good way to finish my leaving cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Oh what is ''doubleing 3rd'' can you explain with an example please . Also how to find the key of a MINOR melody question?????

not certain about the doubling 3rd so i wont lead you astray with idea of it.

for minor key, treat the accidental note as a raised 7th answered by doh and that is your minor key. ie move up a bar or space n that the doh of your key.

also the chord of 6 in the major key given is the relative minor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭qwertyface

Oh what is ''doubleing 3rd'' can you explain with an example please . Also how to find the key of a MINOR melody question?????

doubling a third would be, say if you had the chord of E/G#, and while G# was in the bass line it was playing in the same time in the melody. It's ok to do in a minor chord, just not in majors. Did that explain it ok?

If it's in a minor key the first chord will be minor, so in the chord grid thing the first chord will say i rather than I! Apart from that minor isn't too different apart from using iib instead of ii!

u dont get a chord grid for the melody question

fionated7 wrote:
    not certain about the doubling 3rd so i wont lead you astray with idea of it.

for minor key, treat the accidental note as a raised 7th answered by doh and that is your minor key. ie move up a bar or space n that the doh of your key.

Thanks for the help so if i look at a melody and see a sharp in bar 2 on a , Then its B Minor and you shappen the A every time???? Am i right???

yup!!
    jus remember to place your accidental infront of your raised 7th!!

using the 6th::
    you would sharping the A if u are going up the scale so ud get #g #a, BUT if you are coming down the scale lower the 6th and 7th

i find it easier jus to level the 6th out though ie if your in B minor jus dont use the g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭qwertyface

fionated7 wrote:
    u dont get a chord grid for the melody question

my bad! Sorry! Read that wrong. Too much Barry is gone to my head.

i guessing everyone will be delighted to never have to listen to that piece of musical vomit again after tomorrow...

ah no ill keep is in my playlist :p

have ye seen the vid on youtube that someone made to the B piece?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

Tomlowe wrote:
    use V7 wherever you can, they're mad for that

the undeniable verity of this just makes it all the funnier.:D

Also ^^^

I think G.Barry is great. the secret to enjoying him is to not try and make sense of it. just let it flow. the pause and the rush into the triplets in F+C8 is brilliant...it is little things like that that make himnot only bearable but enjoyable.....C9 is the only part i really dislike TBH

Advertisement