Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Wanted] Looking to rent in Cork

Options
  • 20-06-2007 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi There,

I am looking to rent in Cork at the moment. Specifically Grange, Frankfield or Douglas. I have tried Daft, to Let and all the more popular sites and i was just wondering if anyone knew of any local sites I could try.

Any help greatly appreciated as living with parents and slowly going mad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Evening Echo is the best way to go in Cork. Make sure to get it as soon as it comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭trackdaychamp

+1

The guys in Douglas (Rose-Property.com) are good to deal with and they seem to have nicer places too

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    +1

The guys in Douglas (Rose-Property.com) are good to deal with and they seem to have nicer places too

M

I've had two dealings with Rose property and I didn't find them quite as helpful as the 2 posters above.

Case 1.
    Renting a house which they advertised (I believe the owner of Rose is a personal friend of that LL but thats only hearsay in the local pub).
    We had several problems in that house which we reported to Rose if we couldn't fix them ourselves (the 4 people living there are all handy with tools). Fair enough Rose weren't the managing agency so any time we rang them (the LL used never answer or return calls) all they did was say they would pass on the message but never seemed to do this.

One month a bank failure meant the rent didn't go through, the next week I had finished a night shift and got woken at 10 by someone from Rose. They were very rude down the phone and started talking about solicitors (note NOT PRTB). I got well thick and asked would they be brave enough to be rude to my face as i was going to walk up to them to see them in the office (we lived 2 mins walk from the office). he got polite all of a sudden and we ended the call with me saying I would look up the account and check out what happened. The money was still there so I got up, went to the bank, withdrew it and lodged it to the LL's account in their bank so it would appear that day. Tired and grumpy I rang Rose (didn't want to do face to face in case I lost my temper) and asked to speak to the owner/manager on duty as I had a complaint about a member of their staff. The receptionist said that person would ring back - even after making several more calls never got a reply much less an apology. gave up in the end.

Case 2
    My brother rented a house where Rose were the management agency. He had several problems during the tenancy, particulary
    1.a broken oven seal that caused the press next to the oven to get badly charred (he even saw flames there one evening)
    2. a shower that kept tripping the MCB (fuse).
    3. a damaged carpet from the previous tenants.
    He repeatedly rang, emailed and texted Rose about this (keeping records as proof) After 6 months of this he eventually had to contact the PRTB, (by email and cc'ing rose). Strangely enough a plumber/handyman turned up the next morning saying the job had got "lost in his workbook" and he actually had been notified a few months ago but "forgot about it". The oven and shower were fixed but not the carpet.

When they went to move out Rose tried to keep (AFAICR) 600 of an 850 euro deposit for;
    1. Lawn not cut.
    2. Carpet damaged
    3. Wooden floor scratched
    4. Dust on the mantlepiece (seriously, they actually wrote this in the report)

1. We had cut the lawn the day he moved out BEFORE the keys went back.
    2. It had been damaged before they moved in, more than likely a few sparks came out from their fires as well so they're not innocent but rose were hapy to rent it with spark holes and my brother put down his own rug to minimise the damage. Unfortunately even though we took photos of
    everything before they moved in the resolution wasn't good enough to show the damage.
    3. We didn't take photos of the floor so we couldn't disprove this
    4. My sister in law is a clean nut, to the point of paranoia. She didn't leave the house dirty.

He contacted Rose, told them he wasn't taking this ****, especially as he could prove things had been falsified (we had co-incidentally taken a photo of them moving out the day the keys were returned and you can see the stripes in the lawn) and they dropped the amount to 200 euro. I believe the 600 euro was out of spite as he had reported them to the PRTB. the 200 was still spite but my brother and his wife were tired of this hasle and just let it go. I should have reported them to the PRTB but it would have upset my family so I didn't

So moral of a veryyyy long story is
    1. They're no better or worse than most letting agencies
    2. Ask to sign the PRTB letter before you move in
    3. Take photos of everything on an inspection before you sign anything, tell them you will be doing this, that you want their rep present while you do, that you will be adding any damage to the house into the appendix and they will have to countersign it, that they will have to countersign the photos/accept receipt of them via RETURN email.
    4. Don't trust any letting agency, at all, no matter how nice they seem. Times are tough for everyone (I'm a LL myself so no-one can claim I'm biased against Lls and propert companies) and if a letting agency thinks ot can keep money from you they will

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement