Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTL Broadband - Motorola cable modem & Linksys router

• 20-06-2007 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could answer a query I have, would much appreciate it! Not very good when it comes to these things.

I got NTL broadband in and it's all set up and working. Now I want to go wireless.

In the attached pic:

A is the back of the motorola cable modem as installed by NTL (D shows the front of the cable modem). This is connected to the "wall" by the white cable and the grey cable connects to my laptop seen in B. All working, happy days.

Now I have a Linksys router I've never used (see C). I also have a Belkin wireless usb adapter (something like http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=372137). I thought that maybe I could connect the end of the grey cable that was going into my laptop (in B) to the circled red port in the router (see C)? Then by plugging my belkin jobby into my laptop I could connect to the internet through the router! Would this be correct?

But it won't fit into it as it's too big (seems it takes a cable like a phone line one?). It will fit into one of the ports that are to the right of it (the four ports in yellow). But I didn't think that would be correct? Or should it be going into the left hand side one but I need a new cable/adapter of sorts?

:confused: Probably being an idiot! Would appreciate some help, I've tried explaining everything in as much detail as possible! Maybe I just can't do it this way!?!!?

Thanx in advance! :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

Yes that setup should work if the Linksys is a cable router NOT a DSL modem Modem? Please include the Model number in your reply.

Unplug the cable from your Laptop (B) and plug-it into the Linksys router (C) that should be exactly the same so it should fit.

For the 1st setup you will probably also need to connect a network cable from the Linksys to the laptop and follow the instructions on the CD, note that in some cases for the setup you might have to connect the network cable into a specific port in the router 1 or 4.

Make sure that you reboot the NTL modem after connecting to the router.

Hope the above works.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭F@ces

nava wrote:
    Hi

Yes that setup should work if the Linksys is a cable router NOT a DSL modem Modem? Please include the Model number in your reply.

Thanx for replying nava.

It is a Linksys WAG54G?

Hi

Looking at the Linksys website (it might take a while to load) it looks like you have DSL modem, so you cannot use it as a router with your NTL modem.

You need a cable router. You can check in adverts you might get something there.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭F@ces

Doh! :o

Thanx nava - appreciate the help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fozz

Hey F@ces.
    I believe the people who responded to yer original post are wrong.
    I have the NTL router u have and I have the same Linksys wifi router and I am using em together.

Do it in this order:

1. Plug a cable from your PC to the Linksys in and get an IP from that (a 192.168.1.x).
    Open the config pages of the Linksys (on 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 - can't remember which).
    Get yourself connected to that using wifi so u can still manage those config pages without that grey cable attached.
    S step 1 will see you connected to the Linksys via wifi ONLY.

2. Set the IP of the Linksys to 192.168.100.2 (since the NTL BB 'modem' is set to 192.168.100.1 by default).
    Also set the DHCP server on the Linksys to pass IP addresses from the NTL modem, so set it to be a proxy from 192.168.100.1.
    Connect the Linksys to the NTL 'modem' using yer grey cable into any one of the 4 LAN ports on the back of the Linksys.
    Restart the Linksys and await to get connected back to it via wifi and see that your laptop will get the IP address assigned by the NTL 'modem.

That's it...you are now online via yer Linksys wifi to the NTL BB.

Note that in this setup you can only have one device attached.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Mugie

Hi,

I also am thinking of hooking up wireless broadband i have one of those NTL Surfboard modems,

I am thinking of getting a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router

and also a Wireless-G Laptop Adaptor with SpeedBooster

are these ok to get for wireless, also when im upstairs and the signal is coming from downstairs will it still work at a good speed or will it just slow big time

appreciate any advice
    Mugie

Hi. As I said in the previous post, the wifi will work with the wag54g but it will only allow for one wifi client.
    I recently got a loan of a Netgear wifi router and that works differently. It has an 'uplink' port that connects to the cable from the NTL modem and then it also has 4 potrts tpo allow 4 more wired devices as well as being wifi so alowing multiple wifi connections also.
    This acts as a NAT device so allocates 192.168.1.x addresses to all the internally connected (wired or wifi) pcs and then routes that traffic out through the single broadband connection.
    Works well.

I gotta buy one for meself tho as this is only a loaner so I am looking at the following Belkin router:
    http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4BTT&CategorySelectedId=11177&NavigationKey=11177,4294959958,50909

Paired with a N1 wifi card for yer laptop I'd say you could walk down the road and that will stay connected!

Thanks Fozz,

much appreciated

Mugie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

fozz wrote:
    I am looking at the following Belkin router:
    Belkin are shit. Avoid at all costs.

Why are Belkin crap, which one would u recommend so for NTL

Mugie

• Advertisement

Poor setup, poor drivers. Poor record of being compatible with other devices.

Linksys WRT54G would be my fav. Netgear, Dlink also good.

I have ordered the new D-Link N device.
    Also ordered the USB N adapter too.
    I'm sure from a networking point of view these will be great but my concern is over the availability of Vista64 drivers....

Easiest way to check is to go their support website and see if they're available to download.

yea, did that.
    Currently no Vista driver but it is coming soon....

Thanks Lads,

will check out
    Linksys WRT54G,Netgear,Dlink and will also ask about Belkin

Mugie

Hi,

I bought the Linksys WRT54GS Wireless router hooked it up as per instructions but no joy, do the old IBM Think Pad laptops have an internal netcard in them to pick up wireless or will i have to get the dongle

Mugie

Hi

how old is it?

Does the laptop have a wireless icon (light) next to the the Hard drive light, switch, etc. Try pressing the "fn" and "F5" at the same time, that should show the Access Connections screen.

If it doesn't you will need to connect it with a cable or buy an adapter, Aldi is going to have 1 in offer on Thursday for €19.99

Hi Nava

Its about 3 years old has XP on it think its one of the pentium 4 ones, it does not have the wireless icon light next to the hard drive light

Mugie

Advertisement