Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limericks Characters - Where have they gone?

• 20-06-2007 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭

I'm talking about people like Willie Three Toes, that crazy guy who used to walk the crescent in a imitation garda uniform, or the guy who swore at people as he cycled through town. Where have they gone to? The city seems a lot duller without their colourful antics :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I remember an old lady that used to walk around town with lots of dogs (small ones) in a big old fashioned baby pram ..... everyone knew her ...

When she passed on Jim Kemmy came up with an idea to create a bronze statue ..... something that could have been placed in Cruises street or the new setup in Bedford row .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Wasnt it Willie Three Toes the person who cycled around on his bike shouting at people or were they 2 seperate people. Ah iv great memories of him/them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Willlie is gone out the counrty someplace
    to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

cooperguy wrote:
    Wasnt it Willie Three Toes the person who cycled around on his bike shouting at people or were they 2 seperate people. Ah iv great memories of him/them!!

lol..yea i remember that.. hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

hobie wrote:
    I remember an old lady that used to walk around town with lots of dogs (small ones) in a big old fashioned baby pram ..... everyone knew her ...

When she passed on Jim Kemmy came up with an idea to create a bronze statue ..... something that could have been placed in Cruises street or the new setup in Bedford row .....

Yeah, that was Dodo Reddan from Careys Road...as far as i know a statue of her will be commisioned at the new entrance to The People's Park. They want the statue to be along the lines of Molly Malone...ie. a bit of history, culture, humour, character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

I wish we had someone like Galways' Knacker Dwarf (go to the Galway board and enjoy that thread there!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Dodo Reddan, I really hope they don't cast a statute of her, she was an absolute menace when she was alive and seems to have only gained mythical status since she died. This city should honour it's real heros, not the random nutjobs that make life miserable for people who live near them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'm still here!

:D

you wish! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Theres the drunk down by the train station. Always has a can of Linden village in her hand, shouts abuse at randomers by the shop across from the station.

Robbie the homeless guy who used to always be in the crescent, havent seen him in a long time though.

Then the crazy ****ers who just ride the buses around and around town. One guy always has a stick and a plastic bag, ive spotted him around Shannon a lot lately too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Yeah, that was Dodo Reddan from Careys Road...as far as i know a statue of her will be commisioned at the new entrance to The People's Park. They want the statue to be along the lines of Molly Malone...ie. a bit of history, culture, humour, character.

Despite Amazo's disputes I think this is a great idea...a few of my parents friends always went to her to get a dog.

ninty9er wrote:
    Despite Amazo's disputes I think this is a great idea...a few of my parents friends always went to her to get a dog.

So, she gave your friends a dog so she deserves a monument? We'd be a laughing stock, can you imagine the tourist books, "this is a statue of a local nutcase who gave some of 99'er's friends a few puppies". Honestly, my folks knew her, she wasn't a particularly pleasant person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Melion wrote:
    Theres the drunk down by the train station. Always has a can of Linden village in her hand, shouts abuse at randomers by the shop across from the station.

[Mod Edit]

Don't go posting peoples photographs and names here simply because they are fallen on hard times. thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Yup, that guy with his umbrella (usually) and his plastic bag, ALWAYS on buses, even today was on my bus, ive seen him on a bus that drove past me full and then we walked further into the city back to Brown Thomas (we had been waiting at the crescent beforehand) so we would definatly get on a bus.. and he walked onto the bus. He must have gotten off half way, picked up another bus back in... and then walked over to our bus!! He usually sticks to the Raheen one but most times Ive taken the UL one hes on that too...

Yup, that guy with his umbrella (usually) and his plastic bag, ALWAYS on buses, even today was on my bus, ive seen him on a bus that drove past me full and then we walked further into the city back to Brown Thomas (we had been waiting at the crescent beforehand) so we would definatly get on a bus.. and he walked onto the bus. He must have gotten off half way, picked up another bus back in... and then walked over to our bus!! He usually sticks to the Raheen one but most times Ive taken the UL one hes on that too...

Nice guy, knows all the bus drivers, and spends his days chatting to them.

is it the one walking like a penguin?
    there is one guy walking like a penguin and he always swirls his umbrella like Fred Astaire in his best years.

That's great news ..... :)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Was three toes the guy with the shepherds crook?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

Nice guy, knows all the bus drivers, and spends his days chatting to them.

He is a nice guy , i worked in dunnes in town for a while and he was always in with our trolleys, not a bad bone in him. Have ye seen the clip of him on Youtube? > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39q5i66t9z0

hobie wrote:
    That's great news ..... :)

Why?

I genuinely don't get the affection she's held in. great, she was Young Munster's biggest fan, and she was mental, apart from that?

• Advertisement

she was Young Munster's biggest fan, and she was mental, apart from that?

Must have been the 'Puppies in the pram' .... :p

I can't say I knew her but she seemed to be liked by everyone she stopped to chat to .... she would park the pram outside a shop and pop in and when she came out there would be lots of peeps talking to her dogs ... I remember the pram looked like it was 50 years old .... one of the big old fashioned ones ....:)

Damomanye wrote:
    He is a nice guy , i worked in dunnes in town for a while and he was always in with our trolleys, not a bad bone in him. Have ye seen the clip of him on Youtube? > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39q5i66t9z0

Yeah, I saw that a few weeks ago.:D

He's got a routine, and he gets a bit flustered if he can't follow it.

My father's known him for years, and always offers him a lift if he sees him, but he always prefers to take the buses.

MarkR wrote:
    Was three toes the guy with the shepherds crook?

Yup.
    He still owns some land just inside Clare (not sure if he still owns his old house down d'island), but as was said earlier, he's been out of the country a few years now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What about the guy with the accordian who tells really bad jokes? Think he's called Tom, usually found outside the old Eurosurf off Cruises Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭trevufc

Patsy Stark. who remembers him?

or Coco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I remember a guy called Mad Monday who used hang around Mulgrave Street up by St Joseph's mental hospital. He used wear a cap and always asking people for fags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Coco yup remember him.RIP
    Francsis,the big massive bloke who was always begging up in O Connell st RIP as well apprently.
    Willie Two toes...Was the bloke with the crook stick wearing two crossed leather belts,or some other odd attire.Was up in court a couple of years ago for a knife incident,got off it as the judge sympathised with him,was in the Limerick Millenium book front page,and was proposed to by some crazy American woman....So now,proably wheeling a large wheel barrow around LA:cool: :eek:

Mad Monday,used to hang around the AIB bank corner of O Connell and Cecil St.Unpredictable,would lash out at passer bys,nutter supreme.Now departed this life as well.
    Now we have some fellow in a peaked cap sitting every day on the corner of O Connell and upr Cecil st outside Irvings Jewllers.Whose he?

Who was the little fella who always wore a cowboy hat and all the gear to go with it ...... I'd say he was 40 + age and always looked immaculate .... haven't seen him for ages .... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭adaminho

hobie wrote:
    Who was the little fella who always wore a cowboy hat and all the gear to go with it ...... I'd say he was 40 + age and always looked immaculate .... haven't seen him for ages .... :confused:
    Living near St. Josephs I knew loads of them. Cowboy is dead about 15 years if thats who your thinking of. Used to cary a briefcase everywhere, my mother used to bring him back belts and cap guns from Spain. Mad monday was another one who I used to dee regularly. Then there was to Two Bob who would come up to you and ask for "!Two Bob". Then there was Johnny clap clap who would walk around all day clapping. I can still remeber the day when Dodo Reddan came to Sexton's school like a local celebrity:D I have to admit though that Coco is the one I miss most. Every night he'd come into Mickey Martins looking for " a few pennies" until one christmas Mickey brought him in a fed him a pile of whiskey and a take away coke bottle of it as well:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Did anyone know that guy who used to sit in the laneway beside O Riadas on Catherine Street?? "Hello my frend, could you spare some dollas for a linden village?" :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement