Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limericks Characters - Where have they gone?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭adaminho

DarkJager wrote:
    Did anyone know that guy who used to sit in the laneway beside O Riadas on Catherine Street?? "Hello my frend, could you spare some dollas for a linden village?" :)
    I remember once being accosted on the street by a guy looking for change until he recognised my brother who had been away for a few years and gave him a can of dutch gold for looking after him:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Cowboy is dead about 15 years if thats who your thinking of. Used to cary a briefcase

yep .... that might have been him ..... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Anyone know Pat Daly? He's a little old dude, kinda arched, very camp, always wears a golf jumper, carries loads of bags for life and loves dancing and prancing around town? Always up for a chat too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

What about the guy with a beard and dogs that sat outside the george on a Saturday night.

Nice guy, everyone always shared their supermacs with him.

there used to be a guy who sat on the pavement outside the AIB? at the top of Williams st. a good while ago ...... he had a little dog too .... anytime I saw him I'd throw him a pound coin and he would shout "that's the one .. that's the one" .... :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

hobie wrote:
    there used to be a guy who sat on the pavement outside the AIB? at the top of Williams st. a good while ago ...... he had a little dog too .... anytime I saw him I'd throw him a pound coin and he would shout "that's the one .. that's the one" .... :p

Yeah, I used to do the same. I wondered where he had gone???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

bazz26 wrote:
    I remember a guy called Mad Monday who used hang around Mulgrave Street up by St Joseph's mental hospital. He used wear a cap and always asking people for fags.

Monday was absolutely mad. I actually saw him walk up to a driver sitting in his car (with window down) on Bedford Row one afternoon and punch him in the face.

Female friends told me that he particularly liked lashing out at pregnant women.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 derfen

Sammy - Long crombie coat, longish dark hair, always looked a right old state. Often seen around sarsfield bridge & town, anyone remember him ? Is he still around ?
    Willie & Woggie - 2 brothers from Scotland, tall and gawky looking. They were a few years older than me, but seemed to know everyone around town, mad b**tards !

Of course from now on we can all take mobile photo's and record these characters for posterity ...... :rolleyes:

but on the other hand we might all get killed doing it !!!! ..... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭trevufc

trevufc wrote:
    Patsy Stark. who remembers him?

or Coco?

Patsy Stark was a fell awho used to cycle a bike around with bags of newspapers etc tied to the crossbar. does he ring a bell now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Damn, I just remembered the guy, who used to spend all day walking up and down Mulgrave street.
    He was a patient from the hospital, and every time somebody would say something like "Hey Bald Tom", he'd put his hands in the air and mumble something back!
    He was fairly old, and always had a cap on, and a cigarette in his mouth.

I remember that everyone in CBS used to believe the story that he had inherited millions in his early twenties, bought a race horse, which kicked him in the head, and he went crazy, and spent the rest of his life in St. Josephs!
    All the money was supposed to be in a bank somewhere, cause he didn't have any living relatives!

It's probably a load of crap, but we used to all believe it!
    I think he died a few years ago!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Coco's the small guy that used to walk the Ennis Road right???

Always directing traffic...looked like a leprechaun??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭McSween

who's the guy who looks like mick fleetwood? usually with his bird and his dog around the post office, the dog smells bloody awful.

there is a guy usually sitting on a mobile seat with a cap on on the cecil street corner of fine's jewellers, his picture is also on a corridor wall in the regional hospital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pa daly

ninty9er wrote:

No that was the Shamrock Kid I think he was called. That man was a legend does anybody have any info on him? I heard he passed away a few years ago R.I.P.

He used to always go on about california and was apparantly a brilliant boxer in his day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

pa daly wrote:
    No that was the Shamrock Kid I think he was called. That man was a legend does anybody have any info on him? I heard he passed away a few years ago R.I.P.

He used to always go on about california and was apparantly a brilliant boxer in his day

Pretty sad story, what I heard he was an orphan (from Roscrea??) who was quite a good boxer, even competed in the Golden Gloves over in America but got badly beaten in one of his last fights and was left "punchy" and with no money. Ended up back in Limerick and working in the Ryan hotel (before it was the Ryan hotel), wasn't really able to do much work but was given free bed and board, when the Ryan took it over they kept him on becuase he'd no where else to go. He was a lovely guy though.

He died a few years ago. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pa daly

He was a lovely man, too good for this world..

Wasnt he conned out of money from his bank account as well before he died??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I remember workin in the Ryan as a chef and he came down 1 morning offering all the kitchen staff chocolate bars. Really sad to hear he's passed on, he was a legend of a man. "The kilkenny cats!!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Now we have some fellow in a peaked cap sitting every day on the corner of O Connell and upr Cecil st outside Irvings Jewllers.Whose he?

Oh, he's that dirty dude who always roars at me.
    derner wrote:
    Willie & Woggie - 2 brothers from Scotland, tall and gawky looking. They were a few years older than me, but seemed to know everyone around town, mad b**tards !

LEGENDS! they once asked me for a fag and my friend goes "i dont have any im trying to give them up" and Willie replied "i tried to give up coleslaw but the shop won't let me" and then mooned us.
    I remember that everyone in CBS used to believe the story that he had inherited millions in his early twenties, bought a race horse, which kicked him in the head, and he went crazy, and spent the rest of his life in St. Josephs!

:D didn't know you were a CBSer Karmafaerie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

:D didn't know you were a CBSer Karmafaerie

Yeah, somethings just scar you for life!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

derfen wrote:
    Sammy - Long crombie coat, longish dark hair, always looked a right old state. Often seen around sarsfield bridge & town, anyone remember him ? Is he still around ?

ya Sammy Joyce RIP about 2 yrs ago always on Denmark St. Used to see him with a bottle of wine at 8am . Nice fella

RIP Sammy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Rubberbandits

pa daly wrote:

Lovely man, I always stopped for a chat. The Character in my phonecall "Pharmacy" is based entirely on him.
    I also remember standing at reception in Henry street Garda station a few years back when Sammy Joyce arrived to hand in a wallet he had found containing money. What a gentleman R.I.P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

[Mod Edit]

Don't go posting peoples photographs and names here simply because they are fallen on hard times. thank you

Note to Mod: So it's ok for every one else to post the names of the other people that have "fallen on hard times" I understand about the pic but every one knows her name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 beanflick

ninty9er wrote:

No that was The Shamrock Kid he used to work in the ardu-ryan for years and lived there till the end of his days...
    He was a serious boxer in the states years ago he won the amature golden gloves award(or something like that) there was an article in the leader about him a couple of years back.....
    Nice man a little punch drunk !!!! May he rest in peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

anyone remember fluke? i do.. and all the rest!! the old days hard times for some good times for all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Hi Mod can you tell me if this link to Limericks Characters is to old to resurrect?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

tonyheaney wrote: »
    Hi Mod can you tell me if this link to Limericks Characters is to old to resurrect?

Hmmm... It's been almost 6 years since anyone posted here. What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

most of them dead by now RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

god how time flys :D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

33490d1317662107-need-help-choosing-primary-ccw-pistol-wife-zombie.jpg

CLOSED.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement