Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on verse in surah Al-Kahf

• 20-06-2007 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

A question on the Qur'an maybe some of you can answer for me. Surah Al-Kahf verse 57 says: "And who does more wrong than he who is reminded of the Ayat of his Lord, but turns away from them, forgetting what his hands have sent forth. Truly, We have set veils over their hearts lest they should understand this (the Qur'an), and in their ears, deafness. And if you (O Muhammed PBUH) call them to guidance, even then they will never be guided".

I have come across several similar verses in the Qur'an. My interpetition of this verse is that Allah has made the disbelievers the way they are, he has "set veils over their hearts" and made them deaf. If that is the case then how can he punish them on the day of judgement when he is the one who made them that way?

My friend thinks that he has "set veils over their hearts" because they turned away from him. So because they rejected him in the first place, he has made it that they will never believe, as a punishment.

Which interpetition, if any, is correct?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

I think your friend is correct on this.

The Quran is clear on the choice of someone wanting to believe or not. Also from Surat Al-Kahf, verse 29 states:

"And say: "The truth [has now come] from your Sustainer: let, then, him who wills, believe in it, and let him who wills, reject it."....."

This shows clearly that it's the person's own choice. God describes Himself as the Most Just. So, how is it just if someone is forced to disbelieve and then punished later for it? People who believe in fatalism make the same argument and say how is it possible that someone can be punished for murder if they were destined to commit the crime. Once again, the answer is that it's their choice.

And here's a verse that I believe confirms this idea:

Surat Al-'Araf:101
    Unto those [earlier] communities - some of whose stories We [now] relate unto thee -there had indeed come apostles of their own with all evidence of the truth; but they would not believe in anything to which they had once given the lie: thus it is that God seals the hearts of those who deny the truth;

The "thus" showing here the action of God in response to the action of those who would not believe.

Hope that answers the question. Anything correct in it is by the grace of God and anything incorrect in it is mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Medin

A question on the Qur'an maybe some of you can answer for me. Surah Al-Kahf verse 57 says: "And who does more wrong than he who is reminded of the Ayat of his Lord, but turns away from them, forgetting what his hands have sent forth. Truly, We have set veils over their hearts lest they should understand this (the Qur'an), and in their ears, deafness. And if you (O Muhammed PBUH) call them to guidance, even then they will never be guided".

I have come across several similar verses in the Qur'an. My interpetition of this verse is that Allah has made the disbelievers the way they are, he has "set veils over their hearts" and made them deaf. If that is the case then how can he punish them on the day of judgement when he is the one who made them that way?

My friend thinks that he has "set veils over their hearts" because they turned away from him. So because they rejected him in the first place, he has made it that they will never believe, as a punishment.

Which interpetition, if any, is correct?

Those who heard the Message and yet disbelieved did injustice to themownselves. Nobody's heart will get covered by a veil, only those hearts who decided not to believe, therefore covering their hearts in not an injustice from Allah (swt), it is their own injustice. Allah (swt) will not change the state of a nation or an individual unless they decide to make the change. So if the change is for evil (kufr, disbelief) Allah (swt) has given them this right; and if the change is for good (belief), Allah (swt) will help them.

Advertisement