Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business and Chinese

• 20-06-2007 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Just wondering how people are finding the course? I can only find the topics for the first 2 stages on the internet! Where is stage 4 ?(stage 3 is in a chinese university so I just assumed ucd won't have a list of those topics). Also, my main aim is to do corporate law. Will this degree be a sufficient foundation block for me to get into this profession. I realise I could do corporate law or a basic law degree, but I also want to study chinese so that is why I have chosen this course.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

I'd imagine the Stage 4 topics will be the same as the other Commerce International ones if that's any help...

...and given that the degree only exists as a result of there being a School of Chinese Studies now, is it now possible to maybe just do the BCL (i.e. 'pure law') degree with Chinese electives through Horizons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Don't do it with Chinese electives! Not that its bad or anything. Quite the contrary, its a fantastic language to study cos its a balls more interesting then any other language. Its just that if you need to look for your professor then its pretty tough as they're only in for a day a week. I'd a really good other valid reason... but its gone poof...

But do Chinese - you get to double the amount of people you can talk to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

I also wanted to know if you will have chances to take econometrics course which is designed to analyze economic data. My experience at many economic/finance focused organizations suggests that the skill of analyzing data is very powerful and much valued.

This is taken from an email from a friend after I contacted him to give his advise/comments regarding the commerce and chinese course here at UCD. Can anyone answer it?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

You can take an elective in just about anything, including econometrics I'd reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

There's two econometrics courses that I know of. Applied Econometrics I and II. One is taught by Vincent Hogan and the other by Liam Delaney. It's run by the Economics Department, so maybe contact them.
    Econometrics II is more applied than I. I've done both btw.

• Advertisement
Advertisement