Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my telephone line able for higher speeds?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

kaizersoze wrote:
    Sorry to rain on your parade but your line hasn't been unbundled.
    Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought unbundled just meant it was being let out to other providers. Are you saying this is the same foe *every* phone line around the country, i.e everyone has the option to go with one of these providers? I thought eircom were only letting a certain percentage of their lines be resold by other providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

rc28 wrote:
    Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought unbundled just meant it was being let out to other providers. Are you saying this is the same foe *every* phone line around the country, i.e everyone has the option to go with one of these providers? I thought eircom were only letting a certain percentage of their lines be resold by other providers?
    Only a tiny percentage of exchanges have been unbundled. With unbundling they other telcos install their own equipment in the exchange then physically disconnect your line from the Eircom equipment and plug it into theirs. This way they can offer whatever packages they like to the customer. It's expensive to do so thats why it's only done in large urban exchanges where there would be bigger customer base.
    What most of the telcos do is resell the Eircom wholesale products. It's cheaper to do but limited to whatever packages/prices that Eircom decide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

the overwhelming majority of exchanges ( mainly small) have no BB . only about 40% of exchanges supply any form of bb although that should go over 50% next year .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

eircom should be forced to announce a timeline for upgrading the announced exchanges.

This is necessary as any areas with upgrades announced or broadband coming soon to this area type announcements are exempt from the national broadband plan AFAIK.

Before the plan is implemented they need to make sure that these are not just lies and police them into implmementing the plans (of course they won't but they should).

So would anyone recommend one of the providers I mentioned above, are their customer services and packages better value than eircoms? Also, I checked magnet's dsl services and we also passed for that but I think you have to own a business to avail of it, their website said our line passed for the packages up to 6mb.

• Advertisement

Today i checked on their websites if my line still passes for the higher packages but it doesn't anymore, why is this? Digiweb say i need an an engineer visit for the packages up to 4mb and it just says my line doesn't pass when i click the 6mb package. Irisn bb now only offer me up to the 2mb package! What has happened to make my line so crap? My attenuation figures haven't changed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

rc28 wrote:
    Today i checked on their websites if my line still passes for the higher packages but it doesn't anymore, why is this? Digiweb say i need an an engineer visit for the packages up to 4mb and it just says my line doesn't pass when i click the 6mb package. Irisn bb now only offer me up to the 2mb package! What has happened to make my line so crap? My attenuation figures haven't changed.

Line stats vary for all sorts of reasons - the recent dire weather could have affected yours - did you add anything at home lately new phone extensions or anything?

dub45 wrote:
    Line stats vary for all sorts of reasons - the recent dire weather could have affected yours - did you add anything at home lately new phone extensions or anything?
    No, as I said my line stats haven't changed. My attenuation has been consistent but when Is changed to the newer eircom router the sn margin went down to 12. However whe I plug back in the older router (that has less sn noise, 28) the broadband websites say the same thing so I'm baffled. Do they know something I don't? How frequently are their databases updated- do they really to a line diagnostic every time you enter your phone number on their site?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

rc28 wrote:
    How frequently are their databases updated- do they really to a line diagnostic every time you enter your phone number on their site?
    No. The test isn't a live test, all you're doing is accessing the Eircom database. Tests are run about once a month and the database is updated.

Advertisement