Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commodore G Limited Edition Gaming Desktop

Options
  • 20-06-2007 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭

Check it...

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/test_new/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=21557

Price: 1699

Specs:
    * Stunning Spray Painted Case Artwork
    * Comes with Voucher for Extra Case Artwork
    * Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Dual Core Processor
    * Windows Vista Premium
    * Asus P5N-E Sli Motherboard
    * Dual nVidia 8500GT Graphic Cards
    * 2GB of Cosair 675Mhz Memory
    * 500GB Samsung Sata-II 16MB Cache Hard Drive
    * 550W Ice Cube Cooler Power Supply
    * Large 250mm Multi-LED System Blower Case Fan
    * Built-in Card Reader
    * Samsung 18x Dual Layer DVD-Rewriter
    * Logitech Deluxe Internet Keyboard
    * Logitech Optical Mouse
    * Commodore Emulator and Classic Games
    * THQ Supreme Commander
    * Roxio Easy Media Creator
    * 2 Year Warranty

Check that piece in bold - that's right - dual 8500gt's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting benchmarks here:
    http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1422&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Whats the point in that??? why not just throw in one 320 gts??

Alienware have done this with two 6600gt's in the past. It must just be purely for marketing reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Whats the point in that??? why not just throw in one 320 gts??

Alienware have done this with two 6600gt's in the past. It must just be purely for marketing reasons.

I'm guessing so yea - there's so many misconceptions out there
    ie. bigger graphics mem=better
    ie. more ghz=better(always)
    that I'm shure there's a misconception that TWO gfx cards must be better than 1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

chump wrote:
    I'm guessing so yea - there's so many misconceptions out there
    ie. bigger graphics mem=better
    ie. more ghz=better(always)
    that I'm shure there's a misconception that TWO gfx cards must be better than 1

bigger graphics mem=better

Thats true, it adds more life to the gfx and allows for bigger textures to be processed meaning better fps at larger resolutions.

more ghz=better

Thats the same misconception with nearly every chip on the market, inluding gfx chips.

2 cards are better then one. Graphics processers are very based on paralel processing so adding in extra cores is not a big problem. The problem is size, power, cpu and bandwidth limitations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

chump wrote:
    Check it...

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/test_new/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=21557

Price: 1699

Specs:

Check that piece in bold - that's right - dual 8500gt's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting benchmarks here:
    http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1422&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=3

That is one hell of a ripoff..

Even if I build a PC on ankermann-pc.com with a 8800gtx and a e6700 proc I'm still not even close to that price.

"We saw that the performance of two 8500GT cards in SLI is not that much better than a single Geforce 8600GT, which costs around €120"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

krazy_8s wrote:

Thats true, it adds more life to the gfx and allows for bigger textures to be processed meaning better fps at larger resolutions.

I wouldnt have said its true, by that logic a 256mb 6200 is better then a 128mb 6600gt.

• Advertisement

krazy_8s wrote:

more ghz=better

Thats the same misconception with nearly every chip on the market, inluding gfx chips.

2 cards are better then one. Graphics processers are very based on paralel processing so adding in extra cores is not a big problem. The problem is size, power, cpu and bandwidth limitations.

krazy_8s i'm sure you understood clearly what I was saying and are just being pedantic. appreciate the response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Well if you take the x1950 cards the 256mb and the 512mb versions. Both on the same core, but more ram. The 512mb card offers no increase in performance, unless like krazy says, at higher resolutions.

But with that pc, you are paying for the custom case paint/vinyl and the name. Just like alienware, savrow, demonite(now bankrupt),voodoopc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

I think whats meant here is bigger mem/faster mhz on the SAME graphics card = better..

Obviously clock speeds on different cards don't follow the same pattern

x1300XT - 560 mhz core clock, 256 mb gddr3
    7800GT - 400 mhz core clock, 256 mb gddr3

The 7800GT is 2 or 3 times faster than the 1300XT.

Likewise with memory.

Either way 2x8500gt are pretty crap in a machine with that insane price tag.

jonny72 wrote:
    I think whats meant here is bigger mem/faster mhz on the SAME graphics card = better..

Obviously clock speeds on different cards don't follow the same pattern

x1300XT - 560 mhz core clock, 256 mb gddr3
    7800GT - 400 mhz core clock, 256 mb gddr3

The 7800GT is 2 or 3 times faster than the 1300XT.

Likewise with memory.

Either way 2x8500gt are pretty crap in a machine with that insane price tag.

Someone got the point :D

Advertisement