Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test in a week, but I've no car!

Options
  • 20-06-2007 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just got a date for my driving test there in the post...it's on the 26th! Thing is, I dont own a car at the moment. It was stolen recently.

Just trying to figure out my options and wondering if anyone can suggest something that I may not have considered.

A friend of mine has just bought his first car, a Micra, and he is not confident enough yet to go out by himself. So I'm thinking of getting insured on his car for the week, driving it as much as possible and getting a bunch of pretests, then doing the test.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Check with a motoring school or instuctor, most will allow you to rent one of their cars for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My car's NCT cert was out when I got called for a test, so I transferred my insurance to a friend's car for a few days. As it was a similar sized car, the insurance company didn't cost me any extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Same happened to me, got my test date then it was cancelled by the test place and pushed back two days... my NCT expired during those two fricking days which meant I had to use my mother's Suzuki Liana to do the test in, I had never driven the thing before in my life! Just take whatever car you do get out an about for an hour to get used to the clutch and gears and you should be fine. Oh and make sure you transfer your insurance, shouldn't cost anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Similar thread Here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Thanks for the replies,
    A friend of mine is willing to give me his car for the week, because he rarely drives it.

What is the best way of doing this? Should I try get myself as a named driver on his policy, or should I use my own policy? I dont have an insurance policy at the moment, I cancelled mine recently after my car was stolen. I will literally need it for about a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Do they even check the certs and stuff anyway? I forget but I don't remember them looking or needing tax/nct/insurance documents or anything:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭llester

Cianos wrote:
    Thanks for the replies,
    A friend of mine is willing to give me his car for the week, because he rarely drives it.

What is the best way of doing this? Should I try get myself as a named driver on his policy, or should I use my own policy? I dont have an insurance policy at the moment, I cancelled mine recently after my car was stolen. I will literally need it for about a week.
    Go named on his, it's you're only option......other than, as some one else said, using a driving school car.

Most important thing is to practise driving the car over the next couple of days, so you know how the clutch and all that handles and get to know how all the electronics (ie heaters and stuff) work, because they ask you all that now....GOOD LUCK!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭llester

cormie wrote:
    Do they even check the certs and stuff anyway? I forget but I don't remember them looking or needing tax/nct/insurance documents or anything:confused:
    Don't know about NCT, but they definitely check that you're taxed and insured before asking you to take the car out on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

cormie wrote:
    There was a recent post about a learner driver who was not allowed to do his test because his NCT expired, see link below

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055107730

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They check all the discs to make sure they're valid. You will also have to sign a disclaimer saying that you are insured to drive the car.

Named driver on your friend's policy is the way to go, seeing as how you don't have your own insurance.

Good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement