Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Land Rover Discovery II, reliable ?

Options
  • 20-06-2007 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

ok im considering a Discovery II , 1998-1999 range, what sort of problems can I expect, also is the cream interiour with wood dash a hard thing to find or is it pretty common ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

They're a bucket of s*ite tbh, gearboxes give trouble in a big way so do the transfer boxes, the only engine worth having in them is the TD5 or newer. Every metal piece rots in them and they fall to pieces unless you keep on tightening everything often, that and the fact they're a donkey of a thing to drive, I swore I'd never buy another. Don't buy a Range Rover either they're another heap similar problems and I forgot to mention the air suspension another disaster area on both of them (that is if your Discovery has it, some do some don't) If you want something reliable buy a Toyota Landcruiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

can you get a diesal automatic landcruiser with white/cream leather ineterior and does a landcruiser take a standard 1 or 2 din stereo ? , also can i commercially insure a landcruiser ? also has to be under 7000 for a 1997-1999 range

(also i was planning to get an automatic non air suspension td5 anyway)

can you get a diesal automatic landcruiser with white/cream leather ineterior and does a landcruiser take a standard 1 or 2 din stereo ? , also can i commercially insure a landcruiser ? also has to be under 7000 for a 1997-1999 range

(also i was planning to get an automatic non air suspension td5 anyway)
    I suppose you can somewhere if you look hard enough, probably a Jap import one, not sure what your on about re: 1 or 2 din stereo, most have CD players. You can insure it commercially if it's a commercial vehicle i.e. no back seats unless it's a crew cab. I don't think you'll get much of a 4x4 for under 7000 IMHO.

ok the stereo bit - standard rectangular stereo that could be swapped out for a dash navigation system ??

also yeah unfortunatley im lookin at a tight budget and inside that the landrover fits in

I'd sooner go for a Defender tbh, way more fun and more character too. Look at all the modifications that have been done to them over the years, you could literly customise one to suit your own needs.

• Advertisement

yeah that isnt road attractive, i want something thats reliable, has losts of room, commercial tax , under 7000 that has aircon and comes in diesel automatic, anything in that catagory 4x4 isnt essential, i just like the look, btw - thanks for your help, at least you gave an opinion

thanks for your help, at least you gave an opinion
    It mightn't be the opinion you were looking for but at least it's an honest one as I have owned many of them over the years, good luck with your decision anyway.:)

Advertisement