Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i legally continue to work?

Options
  • 20-06-2007 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi i was reading something somewhere on the net that i need to confirm.basically i have a website built and near ready for business i just have to register myself as either a company or sole trader but i need to keep working full time so is it possible to continue working for your employer and register a business and operate it??it may seem like a stupid question but i cannot afford to quit my job and become self employed just yet.so does my boss have to find out about this?Can i start my business without being self employed?I will be talking to an accountant soon i just want to by my mind at ease for now.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Yes of course!
    Theres no problem with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭information

j2u wrote:
    so is it possible to continue working for your employer and register a business and operate it??
    yes
    j2u wrote:
    it may seem like a stupid question but i cannot afford to quit my job and become self employed just yet.so does my boss have to find out about this?
    no
    j2u wrote:
    Can i start my business without being self employed?
    Yes, if you set up a limited company as you will be seperate from the
    company although you will own the company.

No, if you set up as a sole trader you will have to register as self employed

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

You should also have a look at your contract of employment with your current employer - many employments contracts have clauses that seek to prohibit you working outside of your main employment, although most of these only refer to work that would conflict with the interests of your employer.

That being said, if your external "self-employed" work starts to interfere with your ability to carry out your paid employment then you could be in trouble with your employer.

If there is no conflict between your new venture and your existing work then you should consider having a quiet word with your boss and keep them in the loop.

XDA

Advertisement