Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving with epilepsy

Options
  • 20-06-2007 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey, Im about to apply for insurance and i have nighttime epilepsy which has not effected me in nearly two years. Do you think I should let the insurance company know or not. The prices might go through the roof. My epilepsy is controlled by medication and will not effect my driving. Any advice would be cool, thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If it's on your application and you ever depend on your insurance, then yes you must tell them. Also, the fact you are on medication is on the application and you will have to tell them of that.

As insurers, it's not their fault you are "compromised" and they have to make a judgement on their risk, based on what you tell them. So, you can lie and keep schtum, and never be involved in an accident and there's no problem. Or you can be honest......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

beckstar wrote:
    Do you think I should let the insurance company know or not
    It would be absolute insanity not to inform them. You could make your ploicy null and void in the event of a claim. If your insurance company had to settle a 3rd party personal injury claim, they may pursue you for the costs.

I presume you have declared the epilepsy on your driving license application? One question asks if you "ever had an epileptic seizure" and another asks "if you are on regular medication".
    beckstar wrote:
    My epilepsy is controlled by medication and will not effect my driving
    The danger is not necessarily caused by you medication alone but the possibility of having a seizure while driving. Although your seizures are confined to night-time to date, there is always a possibility of the condition deteriorating or changing. Thankfully, most modern anti-epileptics such as Epilim appear to give greater stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,746 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

A friend of my GF had a seizure, and was banned from driving for 2 years; which would be extended if he had another seizure in that time. Should definately be telling the insurance company.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

beckstar wrote:
    Hey, Im about to apply for insurance and i have nighttime epilepsy which has not effected me in nearly two years. Do you think I should let the insurance company know or not.

Yes. All material facts should be declared to the insurer otherwise insurance may be invalid.

HTH,
    Rich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 beckstar

The insurance could go up to €4,000 just because they want to cover themselves and over estimate the risk. Im only applying for my provisional today and imnot sure whether i should tick those box's or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

beckstar wrote:
    The insurance could go up to €4,000 just because they want to cover themselves
    They are not a charity and are perfectly entitled to cover themselves. The fact that the insurance is expensive may indicate the risk involved. It would not be in their interest to turn away business but perhaps they feel, with similar experience, that you are not worth the risk.
    beckstar wrote:
    Im only applying for my provisional today and imnot sure whether i should tick those box's or not.
    The Road Traffic Act 1961 (Section 115) provides that any person applying for a provisional or driving license shall not furnish false or misleading information in connection with such an application. If you contravene this you may be liable to prosecution and penalties.

You are legally obliged to tick boxes 22 and 25 (and possibly 23).

Would you like to have to attend an inquest to give evidence about a fatal accident that you caused while having a seizure while driving? Valid insurance will not prevent an accident but at least your conscience will be clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Galzy

<snip>

I realise that this is your first post Galzy but you wish to continue posting in this forum please note that we do not allow the promotion of illegal activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I thought that nighttime epilepsy was more related to sleeping disorders than actual epilepsy. You don't have "fits" as such. (Was there a BBC series that featured it recently?). Therefore unless you drift into a deep sleep whilst driving:eek: I don't think it has any relevance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Galzy wrote:
    <snip>

That's very irresponsible advice. You are neither his doctor nor his insurer. Do you not advise your insurer of your condition? What about the drugs - do they know about them?

Advertisement