Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2007-2008 first years!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

playa3 wrote:
    Oooooh deadly thats the course I'm planning on doing!, unless of course the points jump by 40 odd points, which going by what you say, can't be too likely

If I understand the CAO points system correctly, the different between the Minimum and Median scores is an indicator of the amount of competition to get in to a course. I'm guessing they set the minimums based on previous years, but if the median was higher than that, then that indicates there was competition the previous year, and some folks didn't get in. I've looked at the 2006 list (here), and DN078 seems to be about average by that measure: last year's median was 530, and the mean was 535.

Grumpy Old Man Alert: To me, who took just six subjects twenty years ago (living in South Africa), these scores seem extraordinarily high, and the 590 requirement for Medicine is inhuman for a UCD intake of 120. Still I suppose this is the consequence of so many subjects at Leaving Cert, including some of the "easy points" discussed in other threads here... ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well, poitns for arts dropped 50 or so from last year so I got in no bother.

College next month... kinda regretting applying now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Mushy wrote:
    How many in this thread are doing Arts?
    Yeah, I'm doing arts too.

And that Ten Commandments of the Student was class. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

Mordeth wrote:
    well, poitns for arts dropped 50 or so from last year so I got in no bother.

College next month... kinda regretting applying now

Why??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

got 500pts, gen engineering stayed at 495 , so see ye soon!!!

So glad i got it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

Mech engineering for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Science baby! Just have to get my head around these modules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 reddiva

Arts! Ahh can't wait to start! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 RIP-sanity

Arts as well! Just have to make my mind up what to do within arts.. O__o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 reddiva

I'm pretty sure i'll go for English, French and History....what subjects are ya thinking of?

When can we register our subjects online? Wasnt it supposed to be today....:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

reddiva wrote:
    I'm pretty sure i'll go for English, French and History....what subjects are ya thinking of?

When can we register our subjects online? Wasnt it supposed to be today....:confused:

Going to be doing Econommics, Sociology at majors, history and psychology at minors for me.

We register from the 30th. Did ya not get that cool registration pack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭mickydi

Woukld like Art to do History Irish and Archaeology maybe. Anyone know how difficult these subjects are? Have been told Irish is very tough... trying to find out what failure rateis. I got C2 higher Irish & History in L. Cert and was unhappy with both!! Would have expected B3 History & B2 Irish all going well.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 RIP-sanity

thinking of doing italian and either Art History or Roman and Greek Civilization (which had to be in the same groups- grrr ) plus some other credit eating blahs.
    Anyone here do Art history or R and G Civ? Any advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I just finished Art History and I'm starting a Masters in it. (Also in UCD)

So, shockingly, I fully recommend it.

In first year you do a general survey course where you go from Greek and Roman art and architecture, to the Renaissance, right up to Modern Art.

In second year you can do Modern Architecture, Irish Art, Modernism and if you are interested in Roman and Greek art you can take Art and Architecture of Classical Antiquity.

In Third Year there's a huge range of courses, you take seminars and lecture courses. You can take some of these in Second year too. This year they're offering:
    AH30010 - Writings on Art
    AH30070 - Irish Medieval Art & Architecture (Seminar Module)
    AH30090 - Northern Renaissance Art (Seminar Module)
    AH30040 - Dublin (Seminar Module)
    AH30100 - The Grand Tour (Seminar Module)
    AH30110 - Art & Gender
    AH30030 - The Evolution of Irish Art in the 20th-Century
    AH30120 - Aspects of Sculpture
    AH30130 - Art & Death in Early Modern Europe
    AH30080 - Art History Dissertation Module
    AH30140 - Courts & Court Culture in Europe & Asia
    AH30150 - Museum, Monuments & Modernity

So as you can see, you don't end up studying things you hate, you can pick and choose.

As well as classes there are gallery and site visits. I really loved which is why I can't allow myself to leave and I'm back for another year!
    All info here: http://www.ucd.ie/arthistory/undergraduate.htm

If you have any more questions, please do ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭lemur option

Mushy wrote:
    We register from the 30th. Did ya not get that cool registration pack?

ok mushy I give up, searched for ages to find a date for module registration where did you find this???

Chemical engineering here i come WOOOOOO!!!!! though it seems all first year engineers are smushed together for most of their lectures anyway, may as well have chosen general entry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Is anyone else having problems with online registration? I've been trying to fill in the personal information, but it isn't retaining my answers in the survey category when i press continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

Is anyone else having problems with online registration? I've been trying to fill in the personal information, but it isn't retaining my answers in the survey category when i press continue.
    I had the same problem, i think it is because one of the answers isn't filled in, for me it was the one for a prefered course that i didnt get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Thanks Dermot! It worked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Cipriana

I'm doing Gen Eng UCD! Does anyone know if everyone is suppose to go in on Monday, or is it just the Arts people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jackie-B

Radiography for me!!!:D
    I'm a deferred student from last year so woohoo!!:D:D can't wait

Hey that's another thing why do junior Cert results take precedence over LC rechecks??? its a bloody outrage tis...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bigstar97

Sports Management!!
    hoping my broken finger wont be a problem....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 piggy

Radiography for me aswell! Im back as a lickle fresher again after a year in ul!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jackie-B

Hurrah!
    I'm not the only one doin the fresher thing again:D
    until friday then;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Rafadagaffer

Hello all. My first post on these forums.

Im starting Arts on Monday after having a week of getting free stuff :D.

Im doing English, Sociology and History.

Ill be joining the Dodgeball society and maybe the games society. Ive done college before, but it was only tiny compared to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Ill be joining the Dodgeball society and maybe the games society. Ive done college before, but it was only tiny compared to this.

Good combo. No exams in English and History is enjoyable. I made this mistake in first year and I am passing it on to you so you dont make the same mistake. Join the societies relevant to your course, its a great way of making friends and talking to the lecturers. At those things chat to your lecturers and they can recommend books and stuff to help you. I did GRC instead of sociology, heard its interesting so you should enjoy it. Good luck in the coming year.

PF

Good combo. No exams in English and History is enjoyable. I made this mistake in first year and I am passing it on to you so you dont make the same mistake. Join the societies relevant to your course, its a great way of making friends and talking to the lecturers. At those things chat to your lecturers and they can recommend books and stuff to help you. I did GRC instead of sociology, heard its interesting so you should enjoy it. Good luck in the coming year.

PF

Thanks for the nice welcome. :) . Ive joined Arts soc but so far all I can see they do is organise cheap nights out in nightclubs, not really my kind of scene. Ill try to join the rest tommorrow.

Doing History(min) and Sociology(maj) myself. Theatre L the sweatbox eh? Also, as of today, I've joined the dodgeball club. ALthough training times are highly awakward, as they clash with lectures and frisbee training.

EDIT: Nothing with Arts Soc organising cheap nights out. Not my scene too much either, but hey, who am I to complain about those offers?

Ah theatre L, I hear there's a secret cave hidden behind one of the chairs ;). It always so hot in there :(.Can UCD not afford windows or at least some air conditioning or are they trying to make us sweat it out?

Ive yet to join the Dodgeball society as my right hand is currently in a cast, so very little ball playing to be done Im afraid. I must join History Soc too, I keep forgetting and English and Sociology. Whoops. I seem to have joined all the crap ones, curse the lure of free pizza

You could still sign up, just say you wont be available the first few weeks or however long it is. I'll be at frisbee more, but still doing dodgeball for a laugh sometimes. Dont think there are any more clubs I wanna join.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Doing Arts - Art History, History (all modules), English and my electives : philosophy of hman existence & irish folklore and the imagination

In Belgrove :)

Is anyone going to the HistorySoc talk tonight with Roy Foster?

Advertisement