Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cassini - Huygens

Options
  • 20-06-2007 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

The success of this mission was (and still is) tremendous, despite the loss of data they suffered as the probe was sent through Titan's atmosphere. However, why didn't they build a rover that could explore the surface? Why didn't they have a spectromoter / chromatographer on-board that could detect the composition of the surface rock/soil?

...I'm just really puzzled as to why they simply let it fall through the atmosphere, land on the ground, take a picture, and then die in under an hour. THis was a great opportunity that will now have to be repeated.

I think they're all hinting at Europa before a re-visit to Titan, however.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

But weren't we barred from visiting Europa

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I am under the impression that they had limited space for Huygens, combine that with the extreme conditions on Titan and I think you have your answer (but I could be wrong). I think what your suggesting would require I dedicated 'Titan Only' mission? It would be cool though.

Why aren't we allowed visit Europa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

"ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA. ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE."

I guess you aren't a fan of the 2001 A Space Odyssey series :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Guess not :)

Advertisement