Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA Comp Science

• 20-06-2007 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Hey there,
    I've just finished the leaving cert. Up until a few days ago I had Arts as the first choice on my CAO form but I've since put BA Comp Science in at first. My intention is to english with computer science but I was just talking to someone about this who said they'd heard bad things about computer science in UCD. I was wondering if anyone doing the course could give their opinions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'm heading into 3rd year BA Comp Sci in September. First of all, are you sure that you're able to take English with Comp Sci? I was intending to do that when I started the course, but it wasn't an option at the time. Most of the arts courses are open, but not all; unless that has changed in the meantime.

As for hearing bad things about Computer Science in UCD, what exactly have you heard? I'm content with the course so far. Being in arts means that you don't take all the comp modules, but have some core modules and can choose a few others from a list of options.
    The one thing I would say, though, as was mentioned in another thread on the subject, you have to have the right sort of mind for problem solving and similar things.

EDIT: A previous thread that covers a lot of the aspects of comp sci

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

Nothing specific just generally negative opinions. The UCD website doesn't seem to indicate they can't be taken together.

Looks like things have changed with taking English and Comp Sci, having looked at the site. In regards to general negative opinions, I suppose it depends on the person taking the subject really. I've found the lecturers to be, generally, helpful and fair, and the course itself very interesting. This is just one man's opinion, however :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I'm denominated (ie science rather than arts) but i too find the core modules you'd be taking pretty decent.

I did what I should have done before posting this and looked for old threads on the same subject and I do like what I'm hearing about this course which adds to my good impression of it in the prospectus and stuff. I want to get a definite answewr about English though as I think I'd rather do undenominated Arts if I couldn't take English. Would it be be a waste of time to try to phone someone in UCD at this time of year?

Also, this may be a stupid question but if you're doing a course that includes two subjects do you get two degrees, a degree in two things or a degree and a lesser qualification of some sort?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Here's a thread I made asking about the course about 2 years ago......
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=290455

Some good info there! Some things may have changed since then; UCD seems to be in a constant state of flux....

I found the Computer Science quite challenging... That's a euphemism for "f*cking hard"! I was expecting it to be alot easier TBH. You really have to have a good interest in computers and programming, etc., to get a decent grade in it. Having said that, I think the majority of the class got around 50%, so maybe it's just a difficult course.

eh, any more questions post away!

DaveMcG: thanks

Further investigation indicates that english still can't be taken with computer science =/

Have a lookee here. If you scroll down to "Programme Information" it has a list of all the arts subjects that can be taken with Comp Sci, and English is there. I'd say you'll be fine, but if you really want to take English, might be best to give the programme office a ring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Alright, I know I'm not a fresher or anything but could one of you Comp Sci geeks tell me what were your experiences of Intro to Programming?

I've never done programming before but I would like to begin to know something about it so I'm considering taking it as an elective in the 1st semester before I'm out of this place. Is it hard? Easy? What are the labs like? etc

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Here is intro the programming.

All the course info is there. Have a look see.

When it comes to programming some people find it hard and others easy ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Alright, I know I'm not a fresher or anything but could one of you Comp Sci geeks tell me what were your experiences of Intro to Programming?

I've never done programming before but I would like to begin to know something about it so I'm considering taking it as an elective in the 1st semester before I'm out of this place. Is it hard? Easy? What are the labs like? etc

Cheers!
    Intro to Programming I is dead easy... You can usually bluff it for the most part. Just go to your labs and you're sorted. I think most people got at least a B in my class. I got an A+, lol! And I'm sh*t at programming! It does get harder towards the end of the semester.

Intro to Programming II (second semester) is a bit harder alright, but it's still quite do-able.

Waltons wrote:
    Have a lookee here. If you scroll down to "Programme Information" it has a list of all the arts subjects that can be taken with Comp Sci, and English is there. I'd say you'll be fine, but if you really want to take English, might be best to give the programme office a ring

I gave them a call and was told I couldn't. The timetable grid on the undenominated arts page for some reason bares this info. I've changed my 1st choice to undenominated arts as a result. Still, thanks for the information.

No problem, hope you enjoy arts! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Cheers!

Programming is very easy. I'd never done any before this year and I got an A+ easily at christmas and I'd be suprised if I didnt get it this semester too. Labs are pretty simple and the demonstrators usually help a lot if needed, if not, ask a different one and they will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Nice one Dave and Donald, if it doesn't clash with anything I have I'll give it a shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

I'v been set on this course since I discovered it! I cannot wait, perfect for me I think.. Cause I wanted to do computer science but I want a balance of less techincal stuff too :) I cannot wait!!

Hoping to do it with German and Music..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Intro to Programming = cake. Seriously - go to your lectures and labs, pay a little bit of attention and it's one of the easiest 1st year modules out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Intro to programming 1 is indeed free marks. Very very easy.

Intro to Programming = cake. Seriously - go to your lectures and labs, pay a little bit of attention and it's one of the easiest 1st year modules out there.
    == cake, surely ¬_¬ Kidding!
    Yeah, I'll concur with the above opinions; it's not difficult at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sh0rty7

Hey first post! I did my leaving this year so going into college in september and I got computer science in arts as my no.1. I read on the ucd website they had modules(albeit I think only in 3rd and 4th year) in multimedia design and graphics for games and the web and also a couple modules in motion picture post production.I wanna be a graphic designer so I was hopin this would be a good basic start that I wud actually get a job out of.I know theres not much graphic stuff but can anyone whos doin the degree tell me how much there actually is?
    thanx ;)

oh and also if I didnt like it and wanted to move to 2nd year arts after 1st year and do english cud I?or is that impossible cos I wudnt of been able to do english+computers in 1st year

• Advertisement
Advertisement